We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

We are heading up from Maine the first of August for 2 weeks. We have family in Wolfville and will stay with them for about 4-5 nights of the trip. We are bringing our 13 and 15 y old children and would like to enjoy as much of the natural beauty of the area as possible. We would like to go to PEI to camp for a couple of nights and go horseback riding w/ circle T as we saw here on T A. I also really like the idea of going on a sail with star charters tour in Lunenburg. Tall and confusing order I know!!! Any help would be so appreciated. I dont know where to begin!

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

I forgot to add that we will be taking the ferry from Bar Harbor across to Yarmouth.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Cape Breton Island is one of the most scenic, historic and culturaly vibrant areas of the Province and makes for a very good 4 or 5 day package that all of you can enjoy. The two biggest icons in Cape Breton (likely the two biggest in the Province) are the cabot Trail and the Fortress of Louisbourg.

The Cabot Trail is the scenic drive around the northern part of the Island and through the Cape Breton highlands National Park. In addition to the scenery you can also do a lot of outdoor activities on this portion of the trip including whale watching, hiking, sea kayaking, tours to the puffin colony on the Bird Islands, etc. s an aside, I have often heard the drive through Acadia National Park near Bar Harbour referred to as "the mini-Cabot Trail".

The Fortress of Louisbourg can be compared somewhat to Virginia's Colonial Wuilliamsburg. It is a French fortified town originally started in 1713, seiged and taken twice by the Royal Navy and New England troops and finally demolished in 1761 ending French domination in the northern part of North America. Most of our B&B guests spend the entire day at Louisbourg, have dinner in the Town of Louisbourg and then attend the 2 hour show of local Cape Breton/Celtic music at the Louisbourg Playhouse before returning home.

Theer are also many other secondary attractions throughout the Island such as the cape Breton Miner's Museum in Glace bay, the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and the Highland Village in Iona. Your teenagers would enjoy all of these.

Superimpose on the above attractions Cape Breton's scenic beauty and vibrant Celtic culture, particularly Celtic music, and you will have an exciting and busy time on the Island.

If you would tell me what of the above things interest you, I would be happy to help you work them into your Nova Scotia vacation.

Cheers

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Good Morning MKCPS,

If you haven't already,I'd suggest that you order the Nova Scotia tour guide "Doer's & Dreamers" from the following website. www.novascotia.com

A few ideas for your family:

Whale Watching at Brier Island:

www.brierislandwhalewatch.com

On Rte 12 between Lunenburg & Wolfville:

www.rossfarm.museum.gov..ns.ca

At Aylesford (aprox 30 min drive from Wolfville)

www.oaklawnfarmzoo

The best time to visit there is early evening when it is feeding time for the big cats & the owner gives a commentary while doing this.

From Yarmouth, make sure you take Rte 1 along the Acadian Shore. Stop at Mavillette Beach, a beautiful beach for a walk.

Take your choice of Brier Island or Annapolis Royal area. The night tours of the graveyard in the latter are interesting. Then take Rte 8 across to the South Shore. Kejimkujik National Park on that route is a great place to go hiking.

www.pc.gc.ca/kejimkujik

Explore the South Shore area, take your sailing trip in Lunenburg, then take Rte 12 to Wolfville.

I'm sure that your family in Wolfville will have some ideas for your visit as well.

These were some things that you can consider.

Fundygirl

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Hi MKCP5, always a challenge to keep the teens interested and happy and get in a good holiday for yourselves. If you want some of the best in natural beauty, dont miss out on the upper Bay of Fundy. The Cuboid fault and the highest tides on earth here have formed the geologically diverse coastline into a fantasy-land sea stacks, caves, arches and waterfalls tumbling over the highest cliffs on mainland Nova Scotia.

Your entire family will be amazed at the huge tides, which increase as they move up the bay, especially around the Five Islands area, on the way to Advocate Harbour. Advocate Harbour is a fishing village at the centre of a compact area where you can stand on the miles of Driftwood Beach bordering the village and see Cape d'Or towering to one side, and the renowned hiking area of Cape Chignecto on the other. There is no other spot in Nova Scotia with so much to offer for experiencing the best of nature in a walking distance or very short drive of each other.

You can hunt for that special piece of Driftwood at the Driftwood Beach in Advocate Harbour, go sea kayaking to the famous Three Sisters geological formations, then after the kayak trip, walk the easy trails at the top of the Eatonville escarpment in Cape Chignecto to get the cliff top view of the Three Sisters and later dine in one of the most unique restaurants in Nova Scotia over looking the Dory Rips at Cape d'Or - all in one day, with a minimum of wasted time driving. You can also try out para gliding (tandem flights with a instructor)or hike some of the most ruggedly picturesque trails in Eastern Canada from the Red Rocks side of Cape Chignecto Park. www.capechignecto.net

Its around a 3.5 hour drive from Wolville to Advocate Harbour. From there you are close to PEI, and you can stop at the UNESCO world heritage site of Joggins on the way to PEI from Advocate Harbour.

www.jogginsfossilcliffs.com A site that has good info on this area is www.centralnovascotia.com Go to the the Fundy destination.

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Thanks for all the ideas! The more I research things, the more I am starting to think that maybe we will just stick to NS for this trip. I don't want to spend too much time travelling to PEI. I love the idea of going to Lunenburg to go sailing on a ketch (saw that here on TA) found a place we can go for a trail ride right out of evangeline beach area and I am thinking a trip up to the rock formations and waterfalls around absolute would be awesome and some great hiking. I am going tomorrow to pick up some maps so I can visually oriented. How far is cape Breton or Peggys cove?

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Hi,

You can order the free tour guide "Doers & Dreamers" & map on the following website;

www.novascotia.com

Fundygirl

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Is there any where that we can see highland games or pipers? I don't suppose we could find some sort fo festival like that?

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

The Highland Games are held in Antigonish on July 17-18 so you will miss that one. As for Pipers you may want to head to the Gaelic College in St. Ann's in Cape Breton. If you are heading to the Cabot Trail on the Baddeck side try there. There is the Highland Village Day in Iona on August 1 but I dont have much info on it. If I find out I will let you know.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

Highland Village Day is August 1 2009 and it says there is a concert on the hill from 2pm-6pm with songs, dancing, and also pipers.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Itinerary NS and PEI

On Cape Breton's "Ceilidh Trail" (Hwy 19/219) you can generally find a ceilidh with local Celtic music every night of the week. You can go to the Inverness County website at www.invernessco.com to find out the schedule. One of my favourites is the Thursday night ceilidh in Ingonish. While Cape Breton's Celtic music is largely based on the fiddle and piano, you will occasionally get some piping as well.

Every night there is a show of local Cape Breton music at the Louisbourg Playhouse in Louisbourg.

Cheers