We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in NS, where to go?

I am going to NS from August 17th to the 25th. I have read so many posts on all the things to see and visit, which has made me excited about our upcoming trip and also more confused as to where I should concentrate, with all there is to see.

Right now I am leaning towards the following itinerary:

Day 1 and 2 - land in Halifax and stay at Dauphine Inn (Hubbards) for 2 nights and visit (Lunenberg, Mahone Bay and Peggys Cove). Also thinking of taking the Bluenose sailing trip from Lunenberg.

Day 3 and 4 -Drive from Lunenberg to Kejimkujik park and after doing some Kayak/canooing/cycling maybe, drive to Annapolis Royal and stay at Hillsdale House for 2 nights (do whale watching at Digby and visit evangeline trail towards Minas Basin and see the tides) following the scenic route with some stops on the way.

Day 5 and 6 I don't know if to use these days and try to make it up to do the Cabbot trail, or Advocate harbour and Cape D'or instead...Help?? Is my plan to ambitious. Any suggestions???

Day 7 and 8 back to Halifax for one night - sightseeing, and fly out on the 8th at 3pm

I would be grateful to get any comments or suggestions. I do realize I will have to come back to NS, because there is too many beautiful things to see...

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in NS, where to go?

Click on the map for a region, then click on "dont miss festivals and events".

novascotia.com/en/home/planatrip/default.aspx

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in NS, where to go?

Hi Nero, it really depends on what is a priority for you considering you r inesision on which area to visit reference Cape Breton or the Advocate Harbour/Cape d'Or/Cape Chignecto area. Cape Breton is beautiful, but does involve more driving, not only to get there but to get to the various places to see. Advocate area is closer and the places to see are grouped very closely together so a minimum of driving. Both areas are spectacular and very unique. They are not like each other and cannot be compared as each has its draws.

The Advocate area is a "only place in the world" type destination where the highest tides on earth have carved the coast into a fantasy-land of spires, sea caves and arches. Add in the driftwood beaches, rock hounding, fossil hunting, hiking, history, sea kayaking, photo opportunities, scenery, para gliding and divine fresh seafood and its hard to beat. The tides in themselves are a reason to come to this area. But one of the biggest reasons is that this area is still undiscovered - one of those special places that hasn't been marketed like the big "attractions" in this part of the world so you will not encounter the numbers of tourists.

You will discover beaches that you have to yourselves, trails in Cape Chignecto that offer the best wilderness hikes in Eastern Canada, where you will often hike fro hours and not meet another person. The village itself hasn't been on the tourist radar long enough to have the accomodations available for any number of tourists so that also helps control the numbers, which is important in offering a high quality, genuine outdoor experience. Being in the outdoor adventure business I can guarantee you that true outdoor experiences degenerate with numbers of people - part of the reason we moved our business here from the Peggys Cove area.

But if that type of experience isn't high on your agenda, the more touristy routes are your best bet as they still are beautiful places to see and have more to offer in other services.

Check the Adocate area out at www.bayoffundytourism.com where if you go to "things to do" and scroll down to Advocate Harbour you can get a better impression of what this area is about.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in NS, where to go?

Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail are your farthest points.I would suggest you head for Cape Breton first, at least 5 hours from the airport to reach Baddeck or Margaree area ( each sort of half way up their side of the "egg". the next day you loop the Cabot Trail in whatever direction and you can be off the island or almost off that night, then head for Truro and over to Advocate or Wolfville, heading south or cut across country from the "valley" to the Lunenburg. Adding Digby and the loop at the whole bottom end may just be a bit too much.

if you go to Peggy's Cove, also check out East and West Dover,or Mcgrath's cove.

4. Re: 7 days in NS, where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 07:33