We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels discriminate against families

Cape Breton
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
hotels discriminate against families

Some hotels will not allow a family of five to stay in the same hotel room. They have a four person to a room policy. This is ridiculous!What do you do if you are travelling with kids? We are 2 adults, 3 children and have run into this problem several times. I don't want my children in a separate room for safety reasons and then there is the added cost of a suite or adjoining rooms. Does anyone have any info on this? I feel it discriminates against families.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels discriminate against families

Or perhaps they have a fire code regulation that limits room occupants. My family always had to get two rooms when I was growing up (same 2 parents, 3 kids) and it was a pain.

Halifax
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels discriminate against families

Bingo!

Hello, Glenn from Nova Scotia Tourism here. Yes indeed, fire regulations are the reason for most restrictions on the number of occupants. There can also be restrictions based on water supply and sewage capacity for accomodations not on municipal water supplies.

These rules have been put in place for the occupants HEALTH and SAFETY. The accomodation has to abide by these rules in order to keep their licence to operate. It is not discrimnation by the hotel.

Cape Breton
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels discriminate against families

Thanks for the responses regarding this policy. I was happy to find out that Holiday Inn Express at Bayer's Lake in Halifax have a larger corner room available for five people for a regular room rate.

We will be returning again and again.

Hope others who have experienced this situation will find this info valuable.

Purcellville...
Level Contributor
309 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels discriminate against families

I feel your pain. we are also a family of five. It realy sucks when you go to the Caribean. It's either 2 rooms or a cottage. Most time there are only a couple of cottages (at twice the price) and it realy limits us. Funny I dont think I've ever been told it's a fire hazzard. Wasn't a problem when we had a child in a portable crib. The three kids has only been a problem since the youngest out grew a portable crib.

Not a sermun just a thought

SYOTR

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels discriminate against families

Assuming you reside on CB Island, start by calling the CheckIN people at 1 800 565 0000 to see if they can tell you what hotels have two bedroom suites as those usually can handle 6, then ask about "apartment hotels".

If you are not able to get anywhere with that, then suggest you consult NovaScotia.com.

And if still no luck , then go right to the NS tourism department , and try to talk to a John Somers ( head honcho) .

Most operators only allow as many people in a room as there are spaces in beds. Some hotels or motels or cottages that are privately owned , as compared to a chain, will allow a cot .

6. Re: hotels discriminate against families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:18