We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bald eagle watching

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
bald eagle watching

I believe I've heard that we can take a bald-eagle-watching tour in Nova Scotia -- something we've never done before! Where is the best place to do so? (We'll be two nights each in Cheticamp, Louisbourg, Wolfville and Halifax.) Thanks!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bald eagle watching

Hi there, not sure if there is a tour specific to bald eagle watching in the summer. On tours such as the tidal bore rafting on the Shubenacadie you often see eagles, as with some of the sea kayaking tours, or just on your own around the Bay of Fundy and Cape Breton especially.

In the winter there are the organized eagle watches in the Sheffield Mills area near Wolfville/Canning. At that time you can see hundreds of bald eagles congregated around the farms.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bald eagle watching

I believe that kayakdover is correct - I don't think there is a specific eagle tour but on any boat tours on the Bras d'Or lakes you will likely see eagles. It is a rare day when I don't see an eagle while driving anywhere along the Bras d'Or lakes (which aren't really lakes but, as the French name denotes, an "Arm" of the sea. Both of the puffin tours that go out to the Bird islands always see eagles, several which follow the boat out to get fed.

Cheers

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bald eagle watching

OK, cool! Sounds like pretty much anywhere we'll be on our trip we'll stand a decent chance of seeing an eagle or two.

...And also moose in Cape Breton! I think that a moose-spotting is what my husband wants most of out of this trip. :) So here's hoping!

Thanks for the replies.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bald eagle watching

Almost all of our guests that go hiking in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park, particularly those that hike the Skyline Trail, see moose. So far this year all of the sightings have been cows and calfs but hopefully as the rutting season arrives more bulls will be seen.

Cheers

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bald eagle watching

Enjoy your trip to Nova Scotia - it is a wonderful area to visit. Just a note, however, that there were well over 200 active Bald Eagle nests in Ohio this year. Ohio is one of many areas where these birds have made a big comeback in recent years. When you return home you might want to check with your local Audubon Society or nature centre for good eagle viewing locations.

cheers

Jerry

6. Re: bald eagle watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 06:21