We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Plan to fly to Boston next July and drive to Nova Scotia then back to Boston. First trip - any suggestions on route?

We are 4 Adults and three 16 year olds. Would we be best to base ourselves somewhere and do short trips or do nights here and there. What price for med hotel?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Hi sanfran;

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the state or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Some companies offer unlimited mileage, but only within the US.

The rental company will use the onboard GPS to track your usage. The extra per mile charges can add up quickly, so be sure to ask in advance.

Best Regards

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
46 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Regarding the rental company, I will verify the terms of the rental agreement before ordering the rental. I used National on a similar trip. No charges for crossing into Canada.

Regarding the route of your trip, I did a three week tour of Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I drove from Boston, through the south Maine shores to Acadia NP, and then continued on route 1 to Canada.

I crossed the border in Campobello Island, which was very quick, continued on the ferrys, first to Deer Island, and then to mainland New Brunswick.

From there to St. Andrews, St. John, Alma (Fundy National Park), Hopewell Rocks, and into Nova Scotia. I slept the first night in Truro (which they call the Hub of Nova Scotia, since it lies in the crossroad of the two main roads), then to Cape Breton Island. I spent three nights at Baddeck, from there to Mahone Bay and Halifax, and then back to New Brunswick.

If you have time driving back, you may consider the following scenic drive, which is longer than the fastest way to Boston.

I stayed in Fredericton, and then drove to Edmundston (NW New Brunswick) and crossed the border there to Madawaska, Maine.

IWent north with route 1 until Fort Kent, and then took route 11 south until I connected with I-95. This drive goes through the mountain part of Maine, and was very beautiful in the fall season. It is quite different from the coastal part of Maine.

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Thanks for replies - I was awareof the hire car situation but checked this out with company that I had previously used in Canada and is okay.

Really appreciate the route info it gives me something to work on. We are used to driving and love exploring new places especially in US and Canada.

Our previous trips have been mostly on the other side of Canada and California.I welcome any info.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Hi sanfran - since you will probably be driving up and around the Bay of Fundy, a good site to check out for things to do for the adults and 16 yr olds is www.bayoffundytourism.com, which lists accommodations, attractions and lots of neat things to do on both the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia side of the bay. Everthing on this site has gone through a quality in tourism program so you can expect top quality places to stay and things to do.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

OK, try www.bayoffundytourism.com

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Hey there, just wondering if you are aware as to how much time you are going to spend in the car? It's a full 2 days drive from Boston to Halifax, and return is another 2 full days, of pretty much pure driving.

Lots of nice scenery though!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Hi Sanfran,

As a frequent traveller to Canada and the US, you are no doubt aware that we are a HUGE Place.... lol

So CGRENO makes a valid point in relation to distances and timing. Unless I missed it, you haven't told us how long your visit will be. Once you arrive in Nova Scotia you'll need a minimum of a week... closer to two weeks would be better (this will allow you extra time in Halifax). If you can swing 3 weeks, I'd add on PEI. Which is absolutely stunning... a favourite Summer Destination (ocean cottages & resorts) for many Canadians.

And if you have time at the other end of your trip... Cape Cod & The Islands south of Boston is also worth a visit.

Happy touring,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

My advice is always to zero in on the farthest destination and then work backwards. If Cape Breton is on your plan you want a minimum of two nights on the Island , three makes a big difference. After Cape Breton, a 4-5 hour drive can get you to Halifax or onto PEI. On mainland Nova Scotia it is easy to do "loops" and cut across the province from one coast to another . Same on PEI.

Nova Scotia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

Hey sanfran,

I see you have three 16 yrs olds so I'm going to suggest places to see that envolve some action rather that just the plain sightseeing.

In Cape Breton their is the Coal Miner Museum, where you can take a tour and travel down am actual mine shaft

http://www.minersmuseum.com/mine_tour.htm

In the Pictou area I would suggest checking out the Ziplining Adventure.

http://www.anchorsabovezipline.ca/

Tidal Bore Rafting may be something else you would like to check out. I believe there is a couple of companies that do this in Central Nova Scotia but here's a link to one of them

http://www.tidalboreraftingpark.com/index.php

And I saved the best for last. Down in the digby area you can go whale watching aboard a zodia. I went my first time as a teenager and loved it

http://www.oceanexplorations.ca/

My Best advice would be to call the Nova Scotia Tourism line

1-800-565-0000

They have all the information on the companies and they are a FREE RESERVATION service as well so they can give you information about prices and availability of accommodations.

Hope this helps

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Boston to Nova Scotia

I have driven to Boston from Halifax several times. It is a 12 hour drive with very few quick stops for gas or a pee break. Your best bet it to cross the border in Calais Maine. Then you can do the south eastern NB stuff like Hopewell rocks at the Fundy National Park. St Andrews is am ust see. The cutest little quaint town you will ever visit.