We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July - hotel reservations a must?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
July - hotel reservations a must?

Planning a driving holiday, a few days in Cape Breton, a few days around Halifax, 2 adults 3 kids under 11... if we rely on finding a hotel when and where we want it, are we risking "no room at the inn" in July? Budget is not "lowest price no matter what" but I can't afford $200+ every night.

If necessary I'll make reservations in say Sydney and in Halifax or nearby and use it as a home base for the region, but it would be nice if we could play it a little more freely and find a place day by day. I've had nice vacations like that in some places, but I've also had to drive across Saskatchewan looking for a hotel room because everything was booked. :-) and :-(

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Sydney
Sydney
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Hello WatcherOfTheFries, my name is Donald and I am from Nova Scotia tourism.

July and August is the peak of the tourism season in Nova Scotia so the province will be fairly busy. Also, there are a fair number of events going on throughout the province and rooms can fill up quickly so you may find yourself in a "no room at the inn" situation and have to travel farther than you want to. Personally, if I was traveling with 3 kids I would not want to worry about trying to find a place to stay.

With that being said however, if you wanted to try traveling around without advance reservations you can call our toll free information and reservation service at 1-800-565-0000 and we can help you find and reserve places to stay as you make your way through your province.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Donald

Mentioned in this post
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
55 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I booked two nights in Halifax on hotwire.com (July 8th-10th) at $99 a night for a four-star hotel. If you have never used hotwire, it basically assures you a rate and location but doesn't tell you what hotel until after you pay-- but sometimes with a little research you can figure out what you are getting. I was pretty sure when I booked it I was going to get the Westin, but it ended up being the Prince George hotel (well reviewed!). Just wanted to share if you are looking for a bargain :)

Mentioned in this post
Prince George Hotel
Prince George Hotel
3,229 Reviews
Halifax, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Hi WatcherOfTheFries,

Welcome to the NOVA SCOTIA TRAVEL FORUM.

Great advice so far... I would add...

In case you don't know... Hotwire is a 3rd Party Booking Service (one of the best) but as such it can have some risk associated with it (Pay in Full in Advance - Non-refundable / Not Exchangeable etc). Personally, I haven't used it (I don't like risk... lol). BUT it certainly is popular with a lot of TA Members... and can be an excellent way to save money.

For tips on using Hotwire (Bidding Strategies, etc) see BetterBidding.com and there is an excellent Topic on the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM with more info entitled "Hotwire - Any Good?" = tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k291122…

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... I see by your TA LOCATOR that you are from Ottawa... don't be a stranger... drop by the OTTAWA TRAVEL FORUM sometime and help out Fellow Travellers looking for info about our Capital City.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Hi Ottawa!

We travel around Nova Scotia in the summer too, hardly ever with advance reservations. At most, we reserve the same morning when we have an idea where we'll be.

While it's certainly possible that your favorite place will be booked on any given night, I've not run into a situation where no rooms are available at all, anywhere, especially if you have wheels and can drive on to the next town.

Note the toll-free number for the government reservation service, 800-565-0000. In NS, and also on Price Edward Island, these guys are excellent at sniffing out available rooms when times are tight.

Halifax has a large number of hotels. Why, recently they opened not one but two new Airport hotels, with a third under construction.

Beyond this, tourist operators all over Nova Scotia are belly-aching about low occupancy and the tough tourist season. The Canadian dollar is doing so well that the Americans aren't coming, they whine. The ferry from Maine to Yarmouth has been closed down and now no one will visit southwestern Nove Scotia anymore. (This story happens to be in today's daily paper!) The recession is keeping all the hotels empty as potential guests stay home and paint their decks.

If even a fraction of these tales of woe are true, you shouldn't have the slightest problem finding a room.

No need to be intimidated by fear. Rooms are not at all hard to come by in Nova Scotia, even in high season. It's never been a problem for us.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

I would say that the only way you should have a problem is IF there is a huge concert in Halifax on the weekend that you will be there. Paul McCartney, KISS have been the last two to fill Halifax hotels. The huge country concert is in Aug. but no mention of a July concert YET.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Oh Yes, the International Tattoo is July 1st to the 8th in Halifax. Hotels are very busy at this time as well.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Also in Halifax from July 9-17 is the Atlantic Jazz Festival which will keep the city busy after the Tattoo.

Edited: 18 March 2010, 11:58
Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

TO PROUDCAPER,

Thanks for the tip about the timing of the International Tattoo (July 1st thru 8th) we are in the midst of planning our own visit... and well knowing this certainly makes a difference as to when we will book, and what we can expect in general.

Thanks,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Halifax
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

Hi, this is Glenn from Nova Scotia Tourism.

Since we're on the topic of early July in Halifax, this year is the Naval Centennial (that's the 100th anniversery of the Canadian Navy).

There are events programed throughout the year but June 28-July 2 is the International Fleet Review. For navy and warship fans this is a large and rare event.

Navies from around the world send ships to participate.

navy.forces.gc.ca/centennial/3/3-c_eng.asp

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July - hotel reservations a must?

No problem WINE...thats what we are here for. Every piece of information helps in planning a trip especially things that take hotel space.

I would book ahead for July with all that is going on. Dont forget, other things will come up between now and then. Book for best selection now :]