We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

NH
Level Contributor
123 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

This forum was so helpful to me setting up my trip, I thought I would post our experiences from our vacation.

NH
Level Contributor
123 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

We had a wonderful time and agreed we will have to go back for more sometime! The B&Bs and hotel we chose were great and the people were really nice. The locations were perfect for the sightseeing we wanted to do. The weather was so-so but at least we had no rain. In 8 days we visited 5 wineries (Gasperau, L'Acadie, Domaine Du Gran Pre, Muir Murray and Blomidon), 4 brewpubs or breweries (Paddy's, Port Pub, Rogues Roost, Alexander Keiths) and and a distillery (Iron Works)! We toured 2 historic sites (Gran Pre and Halifax Citadel), went to 2 museums (Halifax Maritime museum and Lunenburg Fishery museum), spent lots of time admiring the tides on the bay of Fundy at Halls Corner and Blomidon Provincial Park, hiked some (short walk on the Cape Split train and a couple of hours at Kejimkujik National Park), wandered around the Halifax waterfront, Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg and drove a lot admiring the countryside!

Our lodging was the Tattingstone Inn in Wolfville, The Citadel Hotel in Halifax, Greybeards in Lunenburg and Bayside Inn in Digby. I have reviews of each on the Hotels/B&Bs pages, so I won't repeat them here other to say we would stay and any or all of them again.

Dining was mostly good to great. We at dinner at Paddy's pub twice, where the food was good and the music was fun! Rick had fish and chips almost every place we went, and Paddy's was highly rated. I had pulled pork one night and the seafood rotini the second. Both were yummy. We also did the beer sampler and felt the beer was good, but not great. Our third night in Wolfville we went to The Port pub in the neighboring town of Port Williams and I think Rick and I would agree it was our favorite meal of the trip. His fish and chips were amazing and my seafood diavlo pasta dish was cooked and seasoned perfectly. For lunch that day we stopped at Between the Bushes and thought it was really nice too, but more than we wanted for lunch. In Halifax we at at the Split Crow one night, which is better known for its pub and entertainment - both which were fun, but we wouldn't recommend it for dinner, and the second night at Stayners which was much better. In Lunenburg we spread the wealth and ate at The Old Fish Factory -excellent mussels and seafood, Magnolias for dessert, the Knot Pub for dinner. Enjoyed them all. Our last night in Digby again we tried the Captains Corner and were truly disappointed and would not recommend it as a place to eat.

I know I probably left stuff out, but these were the highlights. Feel free to ask me questions!

Edited: 23 October 2010, 17:18
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

Thanks debinnh

sounds like a great trip with wonderful recommendations for eating and sleeping places.

When you come back (not if!) what would you do differently? Where you go again, and where you would not bother going back to?

NH
Level Contributor
123 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

What we would do if/when we went back:

1. Spend more than a week

2. Try a different time of year for variety

2. Stay at the Fundy bay long enough to do time lapse photography of the tide going out or in at both a vertical spot and a horizontal spot.

3. Go to Cape Bretton, Yarmouth, PEI, Advocate Harbor and other areas we did not get to

4. Spend more time at places we went to but doing other things, such as longer hikes in Kiji or sea kayaking in the Bay of Fundy or at Lunenburg

Just to name a few

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

Yes, come to Cape Breton next time and 2 weeks offers so much more :)))

5. Re: Trip Report- Sep 24-Oct 23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 05:15