We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Norfolk, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

I am travelling from the UK arriving 4th October for 2 weeks and hope to see great scenery and fall colours. With this in mind please comment on my first plan

4th Arrive Halifax

5th Explore Halifax

6th To Lunnenburg

7th To Annapolis Royal via Route 8

8th Explore locally

9th To Wolfville

10th Explore locally perhaps the wildlife park

11th To Tatamagouche

12th Explore locally

13th To Port Hawkesbury

14th To Baddeck via Bras d'or Lakeside

15th Explore Cabot Trail

16th Explore to Louisbourg and back

17th To Charlos Cove

18th To Halifax for 23.45 flight

Two further points. 1. Would it be better for fall foliage to do the itinerary in reverse.

2. How long would it take to drive the 190 miles from Carlos Cove to Halifax.

Thanks for any help.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

I would skip day 11, 12 and 13 and ad the time to the South Shore (you definitely have not enough time there) and the Bay of Fundy (Digby neck for whale watching maybe). Otherwise good plan so far. I like the fact that you will drive back from Cape Breton along the Eastern Shore. Good choice!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Oh, forgot to ad: From my experience you will not see a lot of fall foliage during the first week of October.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,321 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

The leaves turn colour a bit later in Cape Breton so you are best to do it later.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Would agree with skipping day 11-13 and adding another full day to the Cape Breton part of the trip. You need a full day to explore Fortress Louisbourg, don't short change this wonderful place.

Fall foliage will be better later on in the month, but keep in mind that this is prime leaf peeping season and you need to make reservations soon, especially over the Thankgiving Weekend, of Oct 8-10.

Charlos Cove to Halifax is approximately 2 1/2 -3 hrs drive.

The other comment would be Lunenburg to Annapolis Royal and then Annapolis Royal to Wolfville are each approximately 2 hrs of drive time apart. Unless you plan a very leisurely exploration of Annapolis Royal, you may wish to eliminate staying a night in Wolfville and just travel from Annapolis Royal to Tatamagouche.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Check opening for Louisbourg Fortress. Looking at the website it says from 16th October (the day you plan on visiting) "No animation or services. Visitor Centre open, limited access to reconstructed Site."

Is there any chance of re-jigging your itinerary so you can visit the Fortress before then? One of the great things about a visit to Louisbourg is the costumed interpreters. They really know their stuff and are very enthusiastic and keen to answer questions. It would be a pity to miss out on this. I think you might find the visit a disappointment.

Bearing this in mind, I think there is a case to do Cape Breton first? (Even if you visited on 15th you might find they were 'running down' and you don't get ful benefit from a visit.)

On 16th you say "Explore to Louisbourg and back". I'm not quite sure what you mean here - do you mean drive back to Baddeck? If so that is going to take about 90minutes. I am wondering if it would make sense to spend the night in Louisbourg. There is so much to do and see at the Fortress. We spent a whole day and even then didn't have time to see and do everything. If you do have time to spare then have a walk round the town (some interesting old houses) and drive out to the lighthouse. You get some good views from here. You won't want to drive back to Baddeck in the dark.

Remember you will have shorter day lengths. There is a list of sun rise and sun set times for Halifax here. Louisbourg will be a few minutes earlier.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=Halifax,%20Nova%20Scotia;63.5;44.5;-4;1&month=10&year=2011&time_type=0&use_dst=1

We found at end of September last year that trees were beginning to change colour around Cape Breton. Given another couple of weeks we felt they would have been at their peak so it sounds as if you have it timed right.

Driving from Carlos Cove to Halifax - I would allow at least 3.5 hours PLUS stops. Although there isn't a lot of traffic it is a slow road.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Reserve your rooms early...International Celtic Colours is in October.

Norfolk, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Thankyou for the replies - very helpful.

Karen and KC. By skipping days 11 to 13, I assume you mean my suggestion of staying in Tatamagouche for 2 nights. This would have given me the chance of going to Advocate Harbour and/or further up the Northumberland shore before heading to Cape Breton Island.

I also assume that I need to spend more time in CB.

I prefer leisurly travel, so only a couple of hours or so between some stops suits me fine.

Thanks again.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Yes, you definitely need to add some more time to the Cape Breton leg of your trip.

Another option would be to travel from the Annapolis Valley (Wolfville or Annapolis Royal, wherever you chose to spend the night) and stay in Truro, for one night. This would give you a base to explore from before heading to Cape Breton.

There is so much to see, in one province, and with limited time, you have to make some tough decisions. Keep in mind, it is your vacation, do it at the pace that suits you.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,321 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Don't stay in Truro. I go there all the time to shop, but needed to have supper last night and found very little open except fast food places and chains.

Tatamagouche is great with lovely little shops and the Creamery Museum and market and the Train Station Inn. It is less than an hour from Truro. You can then go along route 6 to Pictou and on to Cape Breton. Pictou is a nice place to stay too.

And yes, you need to visit Louisbourg before October 15.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 05:03
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in October 2011 to Nova Scotia

Yes, I also won´t stay in Truro. I would ad one day to Lunenburg and one day to the Cabot Trail around Ingonish.