We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunenberg for week?

Montreal
Level Contributor
646 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Lunenberg for week?

Is there enough to see and do in Lunenberg and environs to occupy us for a week? We are a couple in our 40s traveling without the kids. So B&Bs are an option for us, and there appears to be a wealth of them. We love being close to the sea, scenery, beachcombing and eating out.

I was originally planning a Cape Breton week but given the driving distances from Halifax airport have decided to focus on South Shore destinations instead.

I would be willing to stay in two different places max.

Any and all insights welcome.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunenberg for week?

First question is always did you order the Doer's and Dreamers Guide from www.novascotia.com ? When are you planning on coming?

Here is another resource you may wish to check out - http://lunenburgregion.ca/index.php/map/

If you like being near the sea, eating out, puttering through little shops, etc you will love Lunenburg. You can use Lunenburg as a home base as you also visit Chester, Mahone Bay, and the Shelburne area.

Depending on what time of year you plan on visiting, you could always visit Risser's Beach http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/rissers.asp .

Halifax to Lunenburg is only 93 km , an easy drive.

Hopefully someone else will add their suggestions as well.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunenberg for week?

If you tire of Lunenburg and the South Shore you might want to go check out a completely different environment that fulfills all your desires of being close to the sea, magnificent scenery, miles of beachcombing and eating out. Three hours from Halifax, two and a half from the airport is Advocate Harbour. Its an entirely different world than the Lunenburg expereince, being in a area of rugged geology that offers some of the most awe inspiring scenery in eastern Canada. You can explore miles of beach, some of which you might have to yourselves, walk trails that lead to astounding viewpoints and latter indulge in some of the best cuisine you will find in the province. Places like the Wild Caraway, Cape d'Or lightkeepers restaurant and the Beach Cafe in Spencers Island, a few minutes down the road. You can find more info on this area on the Bay of Fundy Recommended Expereinces site at www.bayoffundy.travel

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunenberg for week?

Two otehr day trips from Lunenburg to a "different Nova Scotia" to consider, is cutting across NS to Wolfville and area via Hwy 12 or across via Hwy 10 and down to Annapolis Royal.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunenberg for week?

The Lunenburg area is a very good choice. Be sure to visit Hirtle´s Beach in Kingsburg! Also I would recommend at least one overnight on Digby neck for whale watching. If you stay longer in that general area I second the suggestion to see Annapolis Royal and Wolfville. Also Halls Harbour for a lobster at the harbour.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
342 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunenberg for week?

If you're up for switching spots, I'd suggest spending half your time on the South Shore (in Lunenburg and environs), then switching over to the Annapolis Valley for the rest of your vacation.

If you enjoy scenic drives, you can take one day and drive the long way round thru Yarmouth/Digby up to the Valley. Or if you just want to get there, you can take either Hwy 10/Hwy 12 as prev. recommended. Be forewarned those roads can get kind of boring after a while tho if you are looking for a scenic drive.

Can't really suggest any places to stay in the South Shore, but in the Valley you can really stay anywhere between Annapolis Royal and Wolfville and be within an easy drive of most major attractions. Hall's Harbour is beautiful and especially cool when the tide's out and the boats are on the bottom!

You will definitely need to rent a car though.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunenberg for week?

Liverpool town is an easy day-trip from Lunenburg & has lots of interesting museums to visit. I recommend spending some time at both the Rossignol Cultural Centre (www.rossignolculturalcentre.com) and the Sherman Hines Museum of Photography & Galleries (www.shermanhinesphotographymuseum.com).

Mr. Hines is a well known photographer & an avid collector of "everything". Years ago he authored "Outhouses of the East" & has put together one of Nova Scotia's most unique displays: an outhouse museum. There is also a great collection of chamber pots!

His Apothecary museum takes you back to another time when a pharmacist was more like an on-the-spot chemist.

Many visitors spend their time in the Halifax to Lunenburg area but, personally, I find the Lunenburg to Yarmouth area full of scenic coastal vistas with interesting shops, museums, & restaurants.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunenberg for week?

Hi UpUpandAwayMontreal,

Welcome to the NOVA SCOTIA TRAVEL FORUM.

Another vote for splitting your time between the Nova Scotia Southshore and Fundy Shore… we visited last summer and did Peggy`s Cove – Mahone Bay – and Lunenburg as a Day Trip… found that there was plenty to see (especially in Lunenburg) so wished we had had more time… our next visit we plan to concentrate more on the NS Southshore.

Fundy… well words cannot describe it… we focussed a good lot of our vacation last summer on that… and honestly couldn`t get enough. Up around Wolfville is gorgeous… and a real bonus if you like to eat or are into wine.

We also enjoyed the Annapolis Royal and Digby area… would like to spend more time exploring that area on our next trip as well.

I personally didn`t get in any whale watching… but know several who did, and they said it was fabulous.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunenberg for week?

I would say no to one week in Lunenburg town in a B&B especially. I suggest a cottage/ chalet type of accommpodation for your family.

Princes Inlet Cottages is directly between Mahone Bay and Lunenburg and is a wonderful place to stay, I know this from personal experience.

I am not saying the various B&B's in Lunenburg are not great options but for 1 week I have to say you can do so much better especially where you indicate your family loves beaches, shelling etc.

Queens County southwest of Lunenburg County has the very best beaches, pure white sand, wide expansive and long .. Carters is a favourite , 3 semi-circular beaches , turquise waters and a sand dollar paradise, also Summerville Beach is wonderful, Quarterdeck Villas are right on the beach but can be expensive depending on the time of year, it is excellent for families, the beach is long, big waves. You have Keji Seaside Adjunct hiking trail close by which will take you to St Catherines Beach which is picture perfect beautiful, seals bask on rocks in the sun, it's isolated but well worth seeing if the family likes to hike a bit, it's beautiful the entire trail. Queens County is about a 35 minute drive on hwy 103 from Bridgewater.

Others have mentioned Rissers Beach Provincial Park, again, great for familes and next door in both directions are other beaches, Crecent Beach and Green Bay. You can take the old cable ferry from one side to the other if you indeed do stay on the Lunenburg side, the ferry cuts travel time greatly. I also highly recommend Cherry Hill Beach, my personal favourite, you have to see this one to believe the beauty. All the above places I have mentioned are not far from one another . From Rissers to Cherry Hill, 15 min drive tops on a beautiful coastal hwy. Queens County is another 30 mins or so from Cherry Hill via 103 hwy connecter. There are various chalets and beach cottages in the area that might be very suitable for you. Hopefully you have the NS Doers and Dreamers Guide, if not plz do order one, a very handy guide. From this area you can travel further southwest and hook on the 101 Evangeline Trail towards Digby Neck for the best whalewatching, various operators, this is a thrill not to be missed. On your way do stop at Mavillette Beach, dunes and a beautiful beach I'm sure you will love, an entirely different contrast in comparison to the Lighthouse Route beaches. Excellent seafood options along the # 1, a shellfish mecca ! You could then travel along the Evangeline Trail to Annapolis Royal wonderful victorian B$B's here, up towards Wolfville, Grand Pre etc.

I refer to this as the loop, it's entirely different from the coast of the Lighthouse to the Bay of Fundy side. Just some options to think about, I hope some of this info is helpful too you, best regards,

blondie **

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunenberg for week?

May I add the Ovens? Been there twice while staying in Lunenburg and the scenery is breathtaking. Hirtle's beach - Kingsburg is a beautiful beach (as somebody else stated). Crecent beach. Chester is one of my favourites, you can go on a ferry to Tancook Island. Chester village is very quaint, with utterly beautiful villas and little shops and tea rooms.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 12:51
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,760 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunenberg for week?

As you can tell there is lots to see and do in this area. I will put in another plug for Wolfville and area: we like the great restaurants, wineries, shops and galleries and the Canning and Hall's Harbour area. Annapolis Royal is another lovely town and the whale watching in the Digby area is wonderful.