We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in September

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in September

We are planning a visit in late September and want to see as much as possible while we are there without moving to a different bed and breakfast every night. We are mostly just seeing sights and doing a few light hikes. Would it make sense to make Antigonish our base for a couple of nights to do Cape Breton Island and then make Truro a base for seeing Advocate Harbor, Annapolis Royal, Lunenburg, and Halifax? Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in September

I would suggest that you choose as bases spots that are scenic, beautiful places in themselves to stay. Since you dont want to be on the road, but have bases, for the big tides, awesome scenery, towering sea cliffs and sea stacks, hikes, beaches, tidal rips, fossils, you will find everything that's special about the worlds largest tides environment of the upper Bay of Fundy around Advocate Harbour. Except for the whales - you need to go to the lower Bay of Fundy around Digby for that. Good resource is www.bayoffundy.travel

Then a totally different environment, with sand beaches and more gentle, less rugged terrain I would choose a stay in Liverpool allowing day trips along the scenic south shore. For Cape Breton I would pick Baddeck. Its a touristy spot, but still a nice setting for a base.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in September

If you could give us an idea of how long you are planning on visiting Nova Scotia, it would help us plan your trip.

novascotia.com/en/…distancecalculator.aspx This distance calculator may help you plan. For example, Annapolis Royal to Truro is 168 miles, or 3 1/2 hr drive time, without stopping. Nova Scotia is larger than some folks think. Kayakdover has given you some great advice on possible locations.

Digby/Annapolis Royal area. Lunenburg/Liverpool/Mahone Bay. Baddeck. All wonderful locations with plenty to see and do.

Have you ordered the Doer's and Dreamers Guide from www.novascotia.com ? Great advice to be had in that guide for you as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in September

Thanks for the great advice. Current plans are flying into Portland ME. arriving at 5:15 PM, driving to Belfast for an overnight, going to St. John and then debating whether or not to go to PEI. We are not sure of that one. We are traveling from Sept. 20 to Oct. 4. Debating Antigonish or if we don't go to PEI staying in Baddeck for Cape Breton.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in September

Since I live in Truro I have a slight bias when responding to your question re a "good base to stay" when in Central Nova Scotia! Truro is a convenient place from which to day-trip. Most of the places you are thinking of visiting are within the 2-hour drive time from Truro with the exception of Annapolis Royal which is 3 hours drive.

Parking in Halifax can present a problem so think about driving to Dartmouth & taking the Dartmouth - Halifax ferry (11 minutes). The ferry takes you to the Halifax harbourfront where there is a Visitor Information Centre. Several sites of interest are located within walking distance of the harbourfront.

Although Baddeck is central in Cape Breton, you might consider a night in the Louisbourg/Sydney area & another in the Cheticamp/Margaree location. September is a beautiful time of year to visit our province but it can be foggy at night which makes for tricky driving in some coastal or hilly areas in Cape Breton.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in September

For sure do not stay in Antigonish as a base for Cape Breton.

I go to Truro to shop but I would not stay there as a base either. I would stay in Parrsboro or Advocate Harbour.

6. Re: Visiting in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 06:16