We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary feedback please

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary feedback please

i think i finally have an itinerary for our upcoming trip and would welcome any feedback or suggestions you might have. here goes :)

thurs june 30th - arrive halifax 7 pm - drive to new glasgow to stay with friends until departing july 2nd a.m. we plan on visiting melmerby beach...any other sites along that stretch that would make a good day trip?

sun july 3rd - depart new glasglow - drive to mabou. overnight at the mabou river inn. plan to attend the afternoon ceidilh at the red shoe pub 4 - 7. is there anywhere else we could visit once we have checked in or enroute to mabou?

mon july 4th - depart mabou and make our way around the cabot trail ending up in baddeck for an overnight at the inverary resort. we would like to be there by late afternoon to enjoy mussels and beer they offer lakeside between 3 and 5. as this will be our only full day "touring" please suggest an easy walking trail and the best use of our time to visit sites coming around the cape.

tues july 5th - depart baddeck and travel to wolfville (how long and what's the quickest way?) we would like to tour the wineries and spend an overnight there at "in wolfville guesthouse".

here's where i'm stuck a bit...we would like to see the tides as best we can but not sure how to make the best use of our time.

wed july 6th - depart wolfville visiting halls harbour, the lookoff blomindon?? and would also like to go whale watching off brier island.

how much could we do on the tuesday (combined with winery) and how much could we do on the wednesday (enroute to yarmouth)? we need to be in yarmouth by about 5:00 pm. i know we are trying to fit in loads so i really need help defining what is really feasible.

overnight with family in yarmouth july 6th, 7th and 8th - depart morning of july 9th for halifax. stop in lunenberg, mahone bay and peggy's cove to arrive in halifax by 3:00 pm.

july 9th - overnight in halifax - fly home at 7:30 pm

exhausted just writing this LOL...thanks in advance!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary feedback please

You should be exhausted! I think your plan is a bit ambitious. Some days are OK but others are too long.

You can expect a lot of traffic on June 30 as it is the start of a long holiday weekend.

The drive around the Cabot Trail: http://goo.gl/maps/srNv

the drive itself is four and half hours. You will want to stop at the scenic lookoffs and for lunch at the very least. Then you say you want to have a hike. The Skyline trail is one of the shorter ones but it still takes a couple hours. You may have to give up on the hike, or plan to arrive later in Baddeck.

Here is a map showing the fastest (not shortest) way from Baddeck to Wolfville. It is over five hours without stopping for lunch. You will only have a couple hours before the wineries close, but maybe that is enough. I would suggest you go to the several wineries in the Gaspereau area and perhaps Grand Pre as well. In the evening you could make a drive to Halls Harbour to see the Bay of Fundy, and if you are lucky it may be around the time of a full high or low tide. Then you will have go go back about 12 hours later to see the opposite tide. http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/tides/

There is nowhere else on your itinerary where you can experience the extreme change in tides.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary feedback please

Just a note on the tide timing - you should return 6 hours later to see the opposite tide, come back twelve later and you will see the same tide. The tide takes six hours (roughly) to go from high to low, and then another six to return to the high.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary feedback please

Well, I am tired just reading this! Very full days, that's for sure.

Here's the thing: Wolfville to Yarmouth is a 3 hour drive, non stop. You add in the visits to the Look Off, Blomidon and Hall's Harbour, and there is a couple more hours used up. The drive from Digby to Brier Island is at least one hour, and two ferry rides away. You are dependent on the ferry times to get to Brier Island. Add the length of the whale watching tour, the return trip via the ferries, back to Digby (another hour) and then onto Yarmouth.

I don't think this is do-able and still be in Yarmouth by 5.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary feedback please

AS others have noted, you have a very busy schedule. I just wanted to verify whether you will be heading to Cape Breton on July 2nd or 3rd.

You had mentioned leaving your friend's in New Glasgow on July 2nd.

Melmerby Beach is close by & a visit there won`t take a lot of time; although it`s a lovely beach to walk along. (and go for a swim)

``IN Wolfville`` is within 5-15 min drive to 4 local wineries; 2 in Grand Pre & 2 in Gaspereau Valley. All except LÀcadie winery , closes at 6 pm & it closes at 5 pm. The others are Gaspereau winery, Grand Pre winery & Muir Murray winery.

www.winesofnovascotia.ca

Halls Harbour is aprox a 20 min drive from Wolfville & high tide there on Tues July 5th is at 3:50 pm. If you don`t feel like going there after driving all day, plus you want to spend time at the wineries; You could go to the Wolfville waterfront park where it would be high tide aprox 5 pm.

Wed, July 6th, low tide would be at 10:26 am at Halls Harbour. However, the water would be out of the harbour & the boats sitting on the ground anytime after 8:30 am. That`s because after the water leaves the harbour it still has to flow down the beach before it reaches extreme low tide.

Again if you haven`t the time to drive to Halls Harbour, you can see low tide at aprox 11 am at Wolfville waterfront. It won`t be the same as the Bay of Fundy (you`ll see a lot of mud), but there are some very informative panels in the park.

The time will be very tight for driving to go whale watching down Digby Neck. It might save some time if you take one of the cruises from East Ferry.

Therefore you won`t have to cross 2 ferries to get to Brier Island.

The length of the cruise will depend on how far out the boat will have to go to find the whales. this website is a company out of East Ferry:

www.ppww.ca

If you haven`t already check www.novascotia.com

It will give you an idea of the distances that you wish to travel as well as lots of other info.

Hope that this helps with your plans.

Fundygirl

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary feedback please

thanks so much everyone...this really helps!

we will be in new glasgow friday, july 1 and saturday, july 2...leaving for CB on the morning of july 3 and staying over july 4.

another option would be to incorporate the whale watching in to pleasant bay on the morning of july 4th if we leave early from mabou. that will eliminate the need to go in digby (although it's supposed to be better there).

thanks for the info on the tides for that day. if no whale watching, we could get up and head to blomindon and halls harbour in the morning then make our way down to yarmouth after lunch.

sound better? :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary feedback please

As I said before you don't have much time on the day you plan to drive around the trail. The whale watching is great on that coast of Cape Breton but you do not see the large whales that you can see in the Bay of Fundy.

Annapolis Royal...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary feedback please

On your way to Yarmouth, you could detour at exit 23A and visit Annapolis Highland Vineyards and Winery, only five minutes drive from the highway and clearly sign posted. (free wine tasting and tour). Three minutes from there is Bear River, the tidal river on stilts. Then back to the hiway at exit 24. Have a great trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary feedback please

thanks annapolis! i'll definitely look into that option!

maryann - if i was to leave mabou at 8 am, is it not feasible to make it to baddeck by 3:00? that's seven hours and i believe the whale watching is only about 2 hours.

confused :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary feedback please

Driving: 4.5 hours Scenic lookoffs .5 hour whale watching 3 hours That totals eight hours. So it may be possible.

You have to arrange for the whale watching and hope the times fit with your drive from Mabou to Cheticamp or Pleasant Bay, so I have allowed an hour for that and for the fact the two hours is a rough indication. Some of the timing depends upon the whales.

Somewhere in there you will need to have lunch, though it could be done on the boat if you are organized.

This allows no time for any other stops you would ordinarily be inspired to make along the way, or for a hike.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary feedback please

no whale watching on this trip lol...thanks everyone!