We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toronto to halifax by car

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
toronto to halifax by car

We are planning to Halifax from Toronto in July long weekend. Pl suggest where to stop in between for night and which route will be best. maybe we can take separate route for going and coming back.your good suggestion can make our trip enjoyable.Thanks

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,824 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toronto to halifax by car

For sure take route 40 through Montreal and through to Quebec. The 20 is full of traffic and construction. You are going to run into lots of traffic everywhere because it is a long holiday weekend.

I would aim for Quebec City. It is a special place with lots of restaurants.

Modest prices: Le Lapin Saute

Fantastic food for a memorable evening: Le Patriarche

If you are going to stay there you had better book your place to stay asap

Edited: 02 June 2011, 18:14
Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toronto to halifax by car

My family and myself are traveling to the east coast also this summer. We are from Sudbury, Ontario so are route is simular to yours. Except we plan to go through the states on the way there, i am not sure if this is an option for you or not but this is our pla. We are leaving early the first day and driving to Sherbrooke, Quebec which is an 11 hour drive for us. Then the next day we will get up early again and drive to Bar Harbor, Maine which is about 6 hours we then plan to stay there a few days. We will then go to Alma, New Brunswick on the Bay of Fundy which is about 6 hours from Bar Harbor,ME and then continue on to Halifax which is about a 4 hour drive. On the way back we will leave Cavendish early in the Morning and drive to Quebec City which is about 10 hours. Then continue home the next morning from there. Are days of driving are fairly long on the way there and back as we wanted to spend as much time as posible in Nova Scotia. If this is way to long for you, you can always go to www.mapquest.ca and enter your starting to ending points and it will tell you how far of a drive and approximate driving time.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,824 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toronto to halifax by car

Yes you can go back through the US, but there is no direct route and the Canadian route is faster. Going on the two lane back roads (such as Route 2) can be very slow.

http://goo.gl/maps/xj1F

Edited: 03 June 2011, 17:00
Niagara Region
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: toronto to halifax by car

We live in the Niagara area about 1 hr south of Toronto and have been driving every summer to Halifax for the last 8 years. We have found the quickest way for us is via the US - 20 hrs. Take the 1-90 East to the I-495 at Boston then the 1-95 North through Maine. At Bangor take the US 9 to the US/Cdn border at Calais then continue on through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia. Our 10 hr overnight stopping point is usually around Portland, Maine.

5. Re: toronto to halifax by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 08:17