We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

We are a 60 year old couple who will be flying into Bangor, ME on Oct., 10, 2011. We will fly back out early Sunday, October 16. We are getting a car and would like to see the most beautiful that eastern Canada has to offer. We like to drive and enjoy beautiful scenery, quaint towns and charming accomodations. We were thinking of spending a night at St. Andrews, NB then maybe catching the ferry over to Digby if it is faster than driving. I think we would like to see the colors on the Cabot Trail and Prince Edward Island. We are looking for itinerary suggestion. Thank you.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

I am a big fan of taking the ferry between Saint John and Digby, but only if it fits into your plans. If you plan on visiting PEI and the Cabot trail, you would be better off to drive through NB, onto PEI via Confederation Bridge, http://www.confederationbridge.com/en/ stay for a day or two, and then take the ferry from PEI to Nova Scotia. http://www.peiferry.com/ That way you will be closer to Cape Breton. If you plan on visiting Cape Breton at that time of year, which is foliage season, you need to book your accommodation as soon as possible.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

Here is a possible route. You need two days to get here and back which only allows you four days here. Even what I have shown is ambitious.

http://bit.ly/o5LAgc

I would suggest staying in Charlottetown your first night. Most attractions in the Cavendish area are closed in October.

Cape Breton will be open. If fact you will be there for some of the wonderful Celtic Colours festival: http://www.celtic-colours.com/

This is great for you but it will mean that accommodations will be difficult to come by. I have to go now, but I can help you more later if you wish. I hope others chime in too.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

First thing you should check is taking a rental car to Canada , I believe there are restrictions.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

Thank you so much. I had to be away a couple of days and am now back on it. We had made our plane reservations and after looking at your suggestions, I am waiting on a call from the airlines now to see if we can extend our trip by a couple of days without too much penalty. I want to see it all. lol

I will be back as soon as I get that settled. Thanks so much.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

I will look into the car right now. Thank you.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

Ok, We have extended our trip by 2 days (not without penalty:(). We now arrive Bangor at 11am Monday, Oct. 10 and have to be back at Bangor the night of Oct. 17. This is overwhelming but here is what I have started with:

Oct. 10 - drive to Charlottetown for the night

Oct. 11 - Explore PEI and Anne of Green Gables - night in Charlottetown

Oct. 12 - Charlottetown to Cheticamp

Oct. 13 - Cheticamp to Beddeck

Oct. 14 - Beddeck to Halifax

Oct. 15 - explore Halifax, Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg - night in Halifax

Oct. 16 - Wolfeville and Advocate Harbor

Oct. 17 - Drive back to Bangor

Oct. 18 - 6am flight to New Orleans!

I am certainly welcoming of suggestions and criticisms. I also need places to stay but I want to get the itinerary ironed out first.

Thanks so much.

Oct.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

It is still a bit rushed, but doable except for the 16th.

I don't think you can see Wolfville and Advocate Harbour in one day. The drive from Halifax to Wolfville and then on to Advocate Harbour is over five hours without traffic or stopping. You would have no time to see anything. You should choose one or the other.

http://bit.ly/qBFvbT

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

Thank you. Do you have a choice of where to spend the night in that area...Wofville, Annapolis, Truro, Advocate Harbor, or....?

Also, I was wondering if it would work to spend 2 nights on Cape Breton and do the trail or should we break it up into 2 different places like we are doing? I'm just not sure about driving times.

Thanks so much.

Halifax
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

Spending time in Wolfville will be ok as it is not big a inconvience to drive to and in my opionion there is more to see in the Wolfville area than Advocate Harbour and is only an hour from Halifax. There are lots of apple orchards and wineries to visit and you can still watch the tides from the evangeline beach. Also the leaves in that time will be pretty as there are a lot of nice hardwood trees. So if you spend the night in Wolfville and leave to Bangor it will not be too bad for driving. I have driven from Bangor to Wolfville a few years ago and it takes anywhere from 8-9 depending on how long the wait at the border is. If your looking for a place to stay here is a website with the accomdations in Wolfville.

www.downtownwolfville.com/index.php…

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: best roundtrip driving itinerary Bangor through Nova Scotia

How did you make out with the rental car going to Canada?