We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in Nova Scotia

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in Nova Scotia

Is it possible and worthwhile to bridge the gap between NS and Cape Breton Island and the Cabot trail by taking a inter-island/local flight?

If so, what airlines are available, and what are pricing/safety records like? We are travelling and have limited time as we are working and have children as well - but we do not want to burn ourselves out trying to see everything.

Also we are wondering if travellers from other provinces can fly in/out of Sydney as well as Halifax.

Any reply would be great - thank you.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

You can fly with Air Canada from Halifax to Sydney for $703. I did not find any other airlines, but others may correct me.

You can fly from Toronto to Sydney (with stops in Montreal and Halifax) for $523. !!!! Again this is with Air Canada. I found this out on kayak.com

Check with a travel agent or Air Canada and see if you can get a several day stopover. I doubt it, but it would be worth asking.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 22:41
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,299 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

HI

Cape Breton has been "connected" via the Canso causeway to the mainland for close to 50 years as shown on this google map. http://g.co/maps/wj7bs

the drive from Halifax airport to Port Hawkesbury is a really easy 3 hr drive.

The Airport is on the "correct side of Halifax" when you are driving to CB so you do not have the Halifax traffic to deal with. The road is mostly 4 lane.

Halifax is the airlines hub for Nova Scotia so all flights from Toronto will be going via Halifax and with the connection time etc... you can be half way to Cape Breton.

The car rental opportunities will be much better at Halifax Airport.

hope this helps

Canada
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

There are direct flights between Sydney and Toronto in the summer on both Air Canada and Westjet. You could therefore fly into either Sydney or Halifax, then fly home from the other city, saving on backtracking.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

This is perfect - we can fly into one, and fly out of the other - we definitely would not have time to back track at all.

What about driving from one side (NS) to Cape Breton - is it worth it to take an inter-island/local flight or is it just as fast to drive? Sounds like the Canso causeway might make things pretty easy - local flights are only worth it if they save time by quite a bit, especially with the cost.

Any further reply would be super.

Many thanks!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is NOT an island. Cape Breton is an island and part of Nova Scotia and is connected by a causeway.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

True - my mistake here and careless posting - I did notice this on the map - NS, connected via New Bruinswick - thank you. Anyone have information regarding local flights from NS to Cape Breton island?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

Air Canada is your only choice to fly between Halifax and Sydney. The cost is often as much as a flight from Halifax to London, and is never cheap. The flight is an hour, plus check in/security clearance time, versus a five hour drive between the two cities. It's not worth it.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

Another thing to check is whether there would be a drop off charge for renting a car in one place and returning it to another.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

Good point about drop off charges and thank you for pointing this out - thank you also for the tip on Air Canada and flights inland - I know that in Newfoundland there are local flight options - Provincial Airlines (fantastic service - sure beats Air Canada). In Labrador, there is Labrador Air, so we thought there might be someone comparable for NS. Air Canada sounds like it will be so expensive on the short haul.

Just one more question - are there any small airlines that provide flights between some of the smaller towns? I see airports all over the map. If someone could let me know that would be great. Maybe we could do some sightseeing and drop our car somewhere in between and then catch a short haul flight to a town in Cape Breton Island.

Otherwise, we will simply drive it though we may have to narrow things down. We only have 8-10 days and were hoping to do Cape Breton and NS together.

Many thanks -

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying in Nova Scotia

There are no smaller airlines. The airports you see are present or former military ones or private airstrips.

You really will have to narrow things down. As I said you can do a bit of mainland Nova Scotia and a few days in Cape Breton. OR you can stick to the mainland.