We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choose between Wolfville and PEI

Sacramento CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Choose between Wolfville and PEI

I have 3 days to meander around NS and have decided that one place I want to go is the Parrsboro area to view the tides. The other two places I would like to visit are PEI and Wolfville and can't decide between the two. Which would the locals recommend? I know I only have time for one. I like to be outside and photography is a hobby and will hopefully be doing quite a bit of that while I am there. Thanks in advance for your advice. I have been reading many of the posts and have enjoyed the responses from the locals!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

What time of year will your trip take place? This would influence my decision. I grew up 15 mins from Wolfville and know the area well but I have also been to PEI many times. Both are beautiful and good choices.

What sounds most appealing to you?

PEI - beautiful sandy beaches, Anne of Green Gables, Charlottetown waterfront, small touristy type amusement parks and pretty country roads.

Wolfville - wineries, apple orchards and farmers markets, hiking overlooking red cliffs and views of the minas basin and farmers fields, quaint charming university town with interesting B&Bs and restaurants and shops.

Either choice I'm sure you wil enjoy it!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

Hi,

My recommendation is Wolfville. It's a lovely small university town for a good selection of restaurants & accommodation. Waterfront Park is a good place to observe the changing tides of the Minas Basin.& to access the walking trail on the dykeland.

Here's a couple of websites that you might find interesting

www.tangledgarden.ns.ca

www.botanicalgardens.acadiau.ca

www.grand-pre.com

There are also several wineries in the area.

Aprox 20 min drive will take you to the Lookoff which gives a panoramic view of the Annapolis Valley & Minas Basin. If you continue on that route another 15 mins, you will reach Scots Bay, Great beach there for beachcombing. This area is also where you access the Cape Split trail.

It's aprox a 4 hr hike through woods there & back, But the view at the end is breathtaking; you're on a large grassy area atop a cliff & you're overlooking the tides flowing between the Bay of Fundy & Minas Basin.

But if you haven't time for that check at the Wolfville tourist bureau for directions to Baxter's Harbour on the Bay of Fundy & the waterfall. It's not far from the Lookoff.

Also, ask them about the stone cottages near Halls Harbour.

Here's the website for Halls Harbour---

www.cameronseafoods.ca

So there would be much to keep you busy in the area. And it's only about an hour's drive to the Halifax Airport.

Fundygirl

Edited: 22 May 2012, 01:08
Sacramento CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

I will be there in mid July.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

Especially for the photography I would choose Wolfville over PEI. With your trip to the Parrsboro area you are close to one of the most stunning areas in eastern Canada for great scenery photos with the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area. Being off the main tourist routes it is also a area without a lot of tourists so easy to get those shots without that person wandering into your viewfinder.

PEI in July will be very busy with tourists, with the Wolfville area also quite busy that time of year, but its wonderful for historical photos with the gardens, old homes and historical sites. Cape Split is a good spot for photos, but the trail can become busy also so best to get on it early if you can.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

PEI is very beautiful and worth seeing. However, you seem to be short of time and you will be less rushed sticking to these two fairly close areas in Nova Scotia. There is certainly lots to see and do in the Wolfville area.

Even if you are not much interested in wine, be sure to get up into the Gaspereau area.

http://www.winesofnovascotia.ca/wineries/

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

It seems like the website that I gave you for the Botanical Gardens isn't working. Try this one: http://botanicalgardens.acadiau.ca

Sacramento CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. I think my trip will be more relaxing if I go to Wolfville instead of all the way to PEI. I guess I have a good excuse to come back for another visit!! :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,052 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

+1 for Wolfville, one of my favourite memories of NS. Consider visiting Grand Pré National Historic Site to learn about the Acadians. Yep same cultural group as the Cajuns down in Louisiana. Interesting story about these folks. And there's a Botanical Gardens too near Wolfville.

Some homework for you. :-) Read Longfellow's poem Evangeline. (of Grand Pré)

Ness Ziona, Israel
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

I wonder if you can please help us.

We will be in Nova Scotia late September this year, and plan to travel from Wolfville N.S. to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

As you have said that you are extremely familiar with both these places, can you kindly give us advice as to whether to do the trip via the Bridge to P.E.I. - or to go via the Caribou - Woods Island Ferry.

Many thanks for your help.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choose between Wolfville and PEI

Both PEI & the Wolfville area are wonderful Maritime spots. Something I have done and heartily enjoyed many times is to spend the day hikiing Cape Split(10 yrs ago my friends & I backpacked my baby up-can't beleive we did that), and then repair to Wolfville for a fresh seafood dinner at one of their great restaurants: it makes for a memoralbe day. You really must start Cape Split in the morning, because it is a full day excusion, but spectacular, and unique. The drive to the Look Off, and Blomidon Park (also has a nice hiking trail), are beautiful.

When you go to PEI, the east end of the Province has unspoiled, white sand beaches(Basin Head); the Greenwich Dunes are breathtaking and the surrounding coastal hike is easy, and gorgeous. Enjoy!