We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

Midwest Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

I'm thinking of spending two days in the Bay of Fundy area and need help figuring out where to focus my time on what to see. Until I realized the driving distance between these areas, I was planning on seeing Hall's Harbor, Wolfville, Windsor, Burnscoat, Truro, Five Islands, Parrsboro, Cape d'Or, Cape Chignecto, and 3 Sisters. I don't want to spend my two days in the car just checking places off my list, so I need help revising my itinerary. Are there major differences in all of the places I listed above? Or, are some similiar and I should focus in those?

I'd really like to see 3 Sisters, but it seems very far away just to see the rock formations. Am I correct? Where exactly do you go to see them?

I also haven't figured out where to stay yet. We prefer no B&B, only hotels. I know this likely limits our options to Windsor and Truro. We'd be arriving to the area from the Halifax airport and headed to Lunenberg area after our two days in the Fundy area. Advice on accommodations?

What I'd like to see is a vertical and horizontal tide change in the same location. I enjoy photography and nature, so I'd like to take some good photos of rocks/cliffs and tides. I'd also like to spend some time relaxing, potentially on the beach.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you have, as I'm pulling my hair out planning this trip!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

Hi,

I see by your previous post that you will only be in Nova Scotia for a week.

So you won't want to spend half your time in the car. Wolfville/ Grand Pre area is only an hour's drive from Halifax & it has a good selection of accommodations & restaurants. .

you can check them on www.novascotia.com

Great area for photography & nature

This website has some good info about the tides including tide times.

www.thehighesttides.com

Aprox another 20 mins from there will take you to Halls Harbour, a small fishing village which is a popular place to view the tides.

www.cameronseafoods.ca

Ask at the Wolfville Tourist centre for directions to Baxter's Harbour, it's not far from Halls Harbour & is a neat place with a waterfall. Also not far from there is The Lookoff which gives you an amazing view of the Annapolis Valley & Minas Basin.

Then after spending a couple of days there, rather than return to Halifax, you could take Rte 12 from Kentville (near Wolfville) & it's aprox only an hour drive across the province to Chester on the South Shore. I'd suggest that you take Rte 3 along the coast from there to Mahone Bay (lovely small town) & then on to Lunenburg. Several scenic areas on this coast as well as some nice beaches.

Then after a couple of days in this area you could return to Halifax by Rte 3 stopping & enjoying the many scenic areas along the way. Doing this loop will cut down on your driving & give you the chance to experience the Bay of Fundy tides as well as the Atlantic Coastline plus a couple of days to enjoy Halifax.

Hope that this helps & forward any further questions.

Fundygirl

Midwest Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

I'm always so amazed by the helpfulness on TA. Thank you SO much Fundygirl.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

Parrsboro would be a good place to stay to view the Fundy tides. You can see them there and go further along the coast to Advocate Harbour which has both a wharf for the vertical tide views and a beach to see the horizontal.

There is at least one motel in Parrsboro.

http://www.thesunshineinn.net/

tripadvisor.ca/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

You should also be aware that places in Nova Scotia with the designation of Inn are more like a hotel than a B&B.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

There is no place on the Bay of Fundy where you will see more of what the Bay of Fundy tides are all about than at the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area of the bay. The nearest Motel to this area is as maryann mentioned, the Sunshine Inn in Parrsboro, which is a well run, very clean place to stay.

The Three Sisters are at Cape Chignecto Park. But there is so much more to see and photograph than just the legendary Three Sisters. Great thing about the area is that everything is very close together.(Its a scenic three hour drive from Halifax or 2 1/2 from the airport.) It has the highest sea cliffs on mainland Nova Scotia and one of the most dramatic coastlines in eastern Canada. For your photos of rock/cliffs and tides you will not find a more dramatic place to take those photos. Cape d'Or is a favorite place for photographers to stay because of its unique photo opportunities www.capedor.ca Definitely not a hotel, but for the right style of traveller one of those special places on this earth type destinations - as you can read from their reviews here on TA.

For photos of the vertical effect of the tides the harbour at Advocate Harbour is amazing. One of the largest tidal harbours in the world, the entire harbour empties at low and then fills at high, lifting the fishing boats from the ocean floor to the wharf top. For the horizontal effect this is also a great location due to the entire harbour emptying, which is over a kilometer across. So here you have these boats on the ocean floor - and no ocean as far as you can see as it is way out past the natural barrier beach on the far side of the empty harbour. Great bonus - the top rated restaurant in Nova Scotia across the road from the harbour where you can sit and watch those tides change from their windows. Lots of people think when they hear top rated restaurant in the province that it is a dress up type place - but no, its laid back, casual place where you are good in your sandals, shorts and t-shirts. The driftwood Beach at Advocate is a wonderful place to relax or have a beach fire - which you might want to do to cook up some of the delicious Bay of Fundy lobster.

Is this place similiar to any other around the Bay of Fundy - definitely not - no place else can you see the Dory Rips, where three tidal currents meet for a true display of the power of the bay as the same volume of water as in all the rivers in the world combined surge past this basalt headland, combined with the highest cliffs of mainland Nova Scotia to add a dramatic backdrop for amazing photos, with some of the best wilderness trails in eastern Canada (with more amazing photo opportunities) and the fantastic array of sea stacks like the Three Sisters and arches created by the diversity of the geology where it meets those huge tides. Place all this in one concentrated area and it is a very special place to discover - but well off the tourism routes keeping it a natural, unspoiled destination. You can see more about the Three Sisters and the Fundy at www.fundyfun.com

Important thing to think about with any Fundy experience is the times to be in certain spots to get the most for the vertical or horizontal effect of the tides, or to witness phenomenons like the Dory Rips. The tide timings will be different at the different locations.

There are some nice beaches around Parrsboro also, particularly around Partridge Island.

Midwest Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

Thank you so incredibly much kayakdover! You have sold me on that area and that's where I will plan to visit.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

Wolfville is beautiful and that area is very popular to view the Bay of Fundy. Most people drive to Halls Harbour to see the tides. It is a beautiful fishing village with a great lobster pound and a popular place to have lobster right where the boats dock.

With the Wolfville area you get a quaint little town filled with interesting shops and great restaurants, beautiful photography options with Blomidon, The Look Off, Halls Harbour, plus lots if options for wineries, gardens and orchards and farm markets. Hiking at Cape Split and Blomidon are great with excellent views of the Bay of Fundy.

Wolfville is only about 1 hour from Halifax and only about 1.5 hours from Lunenburg, so it is a good location to view the bay of Fundy but also put you close to other touristy areas.

If you decide to stay in Wolfville but don't want a b and b check out The Old Orchard Inn and The Gingerbread House. Both are good choices. The Gingerbread House is a b and b but each room has its own entrance and really is more like a motel. I've stayed in both and would def stay in them again.

7. Re: Feedback on Bay of Fundy itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:42