We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this driving route make sense?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does this driving route make sense?

Taking ferry over to Nova Scotia from PEI. Do not want to drive too much everyday, but would like to see most of these spots in 5 days. Is this something I can do? Or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to make it quicker or easier.

Caribou to Baddeck-Cheticamp-Cape North-Ingonish- Louisberg, then back to Baddeck and head down to Peggy's Cove-Lunenburg- Digby-Annapolis Royal-Advocate Harbour then on to Amherst to get Confederation Bridge back to PEI. I think this is where the bridge is, am I correct? Hoping we only need to stay overnight 3 maybe 4 nights at places.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

I would do caribou to cheticamp as leg one. Then around the trail,take the Englishtown ferry ,then to louisburg , then off the island via St.Peters .That would be at least 2 nights just on the island .

That means you try to fit in Baddeck or skip it , otherwise you will not have time to do all those mainland destinations .Even as it ,with only 3-4 days going over to advocate may also be a destination you'll have to skip.

Map it out on mapquest anyway and look at the times; their times are a bit conservative .

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

Okay, you lost me. Where do I catch the Englishtown Ferry? Where does it take me, I have never heard of this. Would I not miss all the upper part of the Cabot trail then? What island are you talking about? Sorry, just starting to figure this out, so excuse my ignorance.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

I said go Caribou to Cheticamp,that is more direct than through baddeck.

Then go from Cheticamp up around teh top of the island (meaning cape breton island ),then down the other side of the cabot trail , and then take the Englishtown ferry at the end of the cabot trail at Englishtown and the 105 , and then to Louisburg .

Cheticamp is on the west side, Englishtown is on the east side (it is 1/2 hour North of Baddeck) . Going to Louisburg needs time , it will be at least 2 hours from the cabot trail and you need at least 3 hours at the fortress; you can't just drive up to the fortress . They take there from an entrance assembly info point by bus .

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

Thank you so much. I get it now. Sorry

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

Hi Quest ~

Your plan is starting to come together, but I think you have quite a bit on your plate. You've got about 9-10 single night stays in the itinerary you have listed. The itinerary makes sense for the order you have laid out, but it is a lot of driving, more than you want to do each day, so for that, it doesn't make sense.

Here is a map of the places that have been mentioned. You can follow the route from Balloon to Balloon. Click on the blue link here:

http://goo.gl/maps/DrcE

Cape Breton Island is an island and a bit separate from the mainland of Nova Scotia, which is the part that is firmly attached to the rest of Canada. You'd never notice it on a map though.

"around the trail" means exactly the places you have listed: Cheticamp, Cape North, Ingonish ... and then Louisbourg. You would not miss the upper part of the Cabot Trail at all. There is a ferry at Englishtown River to cut across to Louisbourg. That's balloon E on the map above.

You will notice the long drive from Louisbourg to Peggy's Cove. Are you thinking of spending nights in Halifax on the way? All the distances between places are shown in the sidebar on the left side of the map. I think you will have to either skip balloon I and J, or balloon K. Those would cause you a fair bit of driving in the time you have.

If I may suggest, you consider going from Lunenburg, across the province on Hwy 12, to Ross Farm Museum and to Wolfville and Grand Pré National Historic Site. Something for your son and something for you. See the map below, with B = Ross Farm Museum, C = Wolfville and D = Grand Pré. Just a thought for cutting off some driving distance, yet keeping things interesting. Then head on to Amherst and the Confederation Bridge. I think you would find that plenty for the time you have. Here's a map of that adjustment to your stated plans:

http://goo.gl/maps/rMQi

Edited: 17 June 2012, 00:43
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

Thank you so much. I will really look over the map you have sent. How much time do you take off by taking the Ferry as opposed to driving? What is the place called when we get off the ferry?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

Just looking again at the map. If I were to leave a part out of the itinerary, should it be part of the cabot trail or the Annapolis Royal (Bay of Fundy) area? Which area is most popular, or which do you think I would just have to see?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

I wonder if it would be helpful to outline some driving distances for you, to give you an idea of what's involved with your trip.

You mention that you are planning 5 days from Charlottetown back to Charlottetown. All the driving times are for just driving in the information that follows. Add time for any stops. Click on the blue link to see the route for the information below.

http://goo.gl/maps/Japw

1. Charlottetown (Wood Island - Caribou ferry) to Antigonish = 4 hours plus wait for ferry, 170 km. Stay 1 night in Antigonish. Balloon C

2. Antigonish to Cheticamp = 3 hours, 200 km. Stay 1 night in Cheticamp. Balloon D.

3. Cheticamp up around the top of the Island and down to Baddeck = 3.5 hours, 210 km. Stay 2 nights in Baddeck. Balloon F. On your one full day do a day trip from Baddeck to Fortress Louisbourg.

4. Baddeck to Halifax = 4 hours, 350 km. Stay 2 nights in Halifax. Balloon G. On your one full day do a day trip from Halifax to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg.

Now you need to start back to Charlottetown.

5. Halifax (via Ross Farm Museum) to either of Wolfville or Grand Pré. I think you would find more choice for accommodation in Wolfville, but I don't know for sure = 2.5 hours, 150 km. Stay 1 night in Wolfville. Balloon I.

6. Wolfville to Amherst = 3 hours, 250 km. Stay 1 night in Amherst. Balloon J.

7. Amherst to Charlottetown = 2 hours, 130 km. Probably stay 1 night before your flight out the next day.

This itinerary is not what you are looking for, but just a few of the places you want to go to will take about 9 nights to visit. Check it out on your map. Don't forget you want to get out of the car from time to time to experience where you are.

If you left Halifax and headed for Charlottetown, via Amherst, it would take you 4 hours and 330 km from Halifax right to Charlottetown. You could leave out Ross Farm Museum and Wolfville/Grand Pré and transfer the night in Wolfville to another place, like Halifax. Make it 3 nights in Halifax. There's plenty to see.

I really think the itinerary you mentioned in your OP is a lot more driving and distance than you think. You're going to have to leave some places out.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

One more thought.

If you really only have 5 nights, you may need to head back to Charlottetown after #3 Baddeck. You could drive from Baddeck and stay at Antigonish again for 1 night and then continue to C'town via the Confederation Bridge the next day, perhaps for 1 night before you fly out.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this driving route make sense?

Well, just remember to wave when you drive by on the way to Cheticamp. Still suggest you do Charlottetown to Cheticamp in one day; the ferry gives you a break from driving anyway.

I suggest people stay in Pictou rather than Antigonish simple because Pictou is on the water , very old historically , and is more tourist friendly I find with their waterfront and shops and pubs etc. Braeside inn is a good spot .

that was great map work Mufti . Can you add a balloon for specific places, like OceanHaven.ca . or Braeside inn???