We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campgrounds for young adults

Dartmouth, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Campgrounds for young adults

Me and some friends are looking for a good campground to go to for natal day. We are all aged from 18-21. We want a spot to swim, hike, have camp fires, play outdoor sports, drink, and meet other groups of people our age. we are trying to keep it with in a hour of dartmouth ns. any suggestions?

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campgrounds for young adults

It is difficult to find a campground that is totally geared to young adults. Most are geared to families. Here are some suggestions for campgrounds my friends and I always went to when we were your age to hike, swim, have campfires, drink, sports, etc while living in HRM (I'm now 33). All are a reasonable drive from HRM.

Rissers Beach near Lunenburg. Camp sites are very nice. Some are on the beach, some in a nice wooded area with a walking trail to the beach. Beach is great, swimming, long, great for throwing around a football or frisbee, etc. Very popular. www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/rissers.asp

Blomidon www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/blomidon.asp Great hiking with good views, nice campsites, access to the ocean where you can play on the mud. Close to Wolfville filled with a younger crowd and bars and restaurants.

Dollar Lake www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/dollar.asp Near Musquodoboit/airport area. On a lake has a beach, etc. Been a long time since I have been here can't remember much.

The Ovens Campground. http://www.ovenspark.com/ Right on the ocean, neat walking trails to see the ovens which are caves where the water comes rushing in, pool, good campsites. Close to Lunenburg.

The Look Off Campground. http://www.lookoffcamping.com/ great views, close to Wolfville, has a pool. Close to hiking at Blomidon and Cape Split.

Have fun!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campgrounds for young adults

I thought of another good one. Hubbard's Beach. http://www.hubbardsbeach.com/campground.htm Campground is right on a beach which is great. I was at this beach last summer. Can be very busy beach on nice days. Access to the beach is included with the camping, but other people drive there and pay per carload for a day's worth of beach access.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campgrounds for young adults

So you don't get any unpleasant surprises if you do plan on going to a provincial park, this is the policy at provincial parks in relation to drinking and noise:

All Nova Scotia Provincial Parks are alcohol-free from the park opening date until 1 p.m., July 2, 2012. Alcohol-free means no alcohol is permitted in the park. Following July 2, while liquor consumption will be permitted at registered camper's sites, clients will be expected to be responsible regarding alcohol use, to observe park quiet hours from 10:30 p.m. to sunrise and to respect other campers' right to enjoy a pleasant park experience with their family. Any abuse of alcohol, disregard of quiet hours, and/or negative impact to the safety and enjoyment of other park users may result in cancellation of a camping permit(s), fine(s), loss of future camping privileges in Nova Scotia parks and/or a court appearance. Mid-season changes to this policy may occur if local issues arise.

All the campgrounds I know are family oriented as that is their prime customer. But if you do fit into the guidelines above, you will have a great time at the provincial parks.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campgrounds for young adults

Just to expand on the guidelines Kayakdover listed above. Last summer I was in Rissers Campgrounds and saw adults drinking alcohol around the park off their campsites (like took their beer to the kids playground equipment) and drinking as they walked to the beach on the paths. The park wardens took their alcohol dumped it out and warned them. If they were caught again they could face being banned from the park. We were fine to drink on our campsite as long as we were reasonable with noise and behaviour and kept the drinks on the actual campsite.

If you plan to just have a few beers around the campsite and keep the music and noise reasonable you are fine. The problem arises when you remove that alcohol from the campsite and start walking around with it, or if you are really loud and are disrupting the other campers. Then you will run into problems.

I can't say for certain about the private campgrounds, but my experiences have been that the rules there are very similar to the provincial campground rules. Families are the main targets for the campgrounds so they try and do their best to maintain a family friendly environment.

5. Re: Campgrounds for young adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:16