We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Itinerary Review

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
September Itinerary Review

Last year we set out to travel to Nova Scotia but did not make it past Moncton NB, one of the group tripped on the sidewalk at the hotel and broke her arm on our second day so we had to head back. We are going to try again, leaving August 31 and travel to Digby for September 1, take the Ferry stay in :

Annapolis Royal-2 nights

Cape Breton -3 nights

Advocate Harbor-1 night

I would cut out one night at Annapolis Royal if there was someplace to stay before Cape Breton, any suggestions? We want to try to keep the driving to 4-5 hours per day if possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Itinerary Review

It would really help us if we knew what you are interested in - scenery, hiking, music, dining, historic sites, etc.

It is a long drive from Annapolis Royal to Cape Breton and it is a long drive from Cape Breton to Advocate Harbour.

You may have to give one of these areas a raincheck.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Itinerary Review

I see you will be arriving in Digby on September 1. Just a quick heads up that the Wharf Rat Rally (the largest motorcycle rally in Atlantic Canada) is being held August 29 to September 2, 2012 in Digby. Not sure how that will affect things in the Digby and Annapolis Royal area (could be quite busy and hectic as in 2011 Digby, a town of 2,092, had an influx of 60,000 visitors and 24,000 motorcycles over the course of five days). You may want to book your hotel/motel etc accommodations in advance and consider this rally in your planning as you will be arriving via Digby. The rally is apparently really neat, I have never attended but it is on my Nova Scotia Bucket List. http://www.wharfratrally.com/

I agree with Maryann your outline involves some long driving days, so you may want to reconsider your schedule if you want to keep the driving to 4-5 hours per day. If you want to take one night away from Annapolis Royal you could spend a night in Halifax or Pictou which is en route to Cape Breton as they both offer lots in the way of tourism and interests, however you will still be looking at some long driving days.

Is it possible to add a few extra days to your vacation in NS to provide you will some more time to explore the area and less time driving in the vehicle per day?

Edited: 08 July 2012, 04:02
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Itinerary Review

thanks for the information on the bike rally, that will most like impact our plans so we may stay in the Halifax area instead. I wasn't really looking for advice on activites as we pretty much have that part of the trip set, I was just wondering of the route seemed logical and doable.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Itinerary Review

Where are you headed after Advocate Harbour? If you are going back to Digby, then that is a 5-6 hour drive.

If you are headed for Moncton after Advocate Harbour, then that drive will be approximately 2 1/2 hours.

5. Re: September Itinerary Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 06:17