We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

Is it risky to show up on a Saturday in July without a reservation and expect to get on a ferry to PEI?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,929 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

No, in fact I have read recently that they don't take reservations. Get there well before sailing time and all should be fine.

nfl-bay.com/northumberland-ferries-schedule-…

Edited: 24 July 2012, 14:42
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

You can make a reservation, but to be honest since the bridge opened we've always caught the ferry we aimed for, even if we showed up at boarding time.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

Reservations for the PEI Ferry service are not mandatory, but they are strongly recommended. You may make a reservation by calling the toll free line at 1-877-762-7645 or online by visiting www.nfl-bay.com.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

Hi all,

I j ust called the ferry people again because I am getting confused about reservations or no reservations. I spoke with a nice girl who said that if you are taking the ferry one way, either going to the island or leaving the island there are no reservations, it is first come first serve. In my case we are taking the ferry from Nova Scotia to PEI and leaving the island by the bridge. So I cannot make a reservation and I pay nothing to take the ferry but when I leave the island by the bridge, I will then pay whatever it is to leave the island. If I were taking the ferry to PEI from Nova Scotia and then from PEI back to Nova Scotia then I could make a reservation and I would pay for my round trip on the ferry. I will say that the ferry website needs to be more clear on this because it gives the impression that you can make reservations even if you are taking the ferry one way. Hope you enjoy your trip!! We are going in October and I cannot wait.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,512 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

When we visited PEI recently, we took the bridge over and the ferry back. We were unable to book the ferry for the very reasons given - we weren't doing a round trip. Having said that, we got there about an hour beforehand and didn't have any problems.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

I am actually sitting on the ferry right now. Beautiful night and beautiful view from the top tonight. We made rrservations but we were taking the ferry both ways. Today we caught the 11:15 am ferry from NS to pei and it was busy but I think everyone got on. Right now I am on the 8:00 pm pei to NS ferry and there is hardly anyone on it at all.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,929 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

I took the ferry in mid July last year both ways without reservations and had no problem getting on.

Thanks so much calliecatsmom for sorting us all out.

8. Re: Is a reservation needed for the ferry to PEI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:17