We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

Prudhoe, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

My husband and I will be arriving May 2013, probably on the 20th. We'll have until the 13th June. So far the plan looks like this:

2 nights in Halifax

14 nights at White Point - we want to do some day trips from here and will have a car. We'll travel back and forth along the lighthouse trail and have time to explore out of the way spots. We'll also have some time relaxing at White Point. We are thinking about maybe spending at least a couple of nights out of the 14 up near Digby/Annapolis Royal.

We then have 8 nights before leaving and will probably do the Glooscap Trail with 2 nights at Parrsboro, Sunrise Trail with 2 nights at Tatamagouche. I want to stay in the train carriages! And get to Sugar Moon Farm, I am a maple syrup fan!

So we would then have 4 nights to do the Cabot Trail and head back to Halifax via the Marine Drive.

We could spend more time on the Glooscap and the Sunrise and miss the Cabot trail out. This would be an incentive to return! This is the part of the trip we are struggling with. We don't want to spend hours driving. Maybe do 1.5 hours stop to visit somewhere then another hour to visit/hike/bird watch/shop then head back to base.

We want to make the most of our time and not rush around too much. We'd love a chance to really get a feel for the province and the people. Hoping there will be time for some hiking, wildlife watching, a bit of the local culture/history, eating good food and yarn stores (if my other half doesn't object).

This trip probably sounds like we have a huge budget, we don't. Will be using b&bs when not at White Point.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jo

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,187 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

You have planned the early part of your trip to be fairly relaxing, but then you are right that you will be rushing around.

Four days is enough to drive around the Cabot Trail and perhaps visit Louisbourg but you would have to give up the Marine Drive.

Here is an itinerary from Tatamagouche (great village by the way, I live close by!):

Day 1 Drive to Cape Breton and stay somewhere in the Cheticamp area.

Day 2 Visit the town and the rug hooking co-operative. walk the Skyline Trail and go whale watching.

Day 3 Drive the rest of the Cabot Trail taking time to stop along the way. Spend the night in Baddeck. You may have time to visit the museum.

Day 4. Drive back to Halifax.

You would not have time to visit Louisbourg, and walk the Skyline Trai,l and go whale watching. I left out Louisbourg, but if you have gone whale watching out of Digby, you could leave that out and perhaps visit Louisbourg.

http://goo.gl/maps/7uIuK

OR: You could stay only one night in Tatamagouche if you drive there from Parrsboro via Earltown, visiting Sugar Moon Farm along the way. That would give you another day in Cape Breton. http://goo.gl/maps/OEQtM

OR: you could leave Cape Breton for another year, which would give you more time on the Fundy shore and along the Sunrise Trail.

These are tough decisions.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 23:17
Prudhoe, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

Thanks for the response we haven't booked flights yet so we are having a bit of a rethink and might arrive earlier. Saturday 11th May (we'll gain 2 more nights) and do all our travelling about then before checking in at White Point on the 22nd. We could have our last 2 nights in Halifax before we fly home on the 7th June.

My question now is whether or not we will be coming too early. We went to Ontario in very early May a few years ago and a lot of attractions were not open yet. Would this be the case in Nova Scotia?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

You could cut a night each in Tatamagouche and Parrsboro, to be honest. They're both really wonderful places, but a night will do and give you some flexibility. One place to check out near there is Mo's at Five Islands, it's an Inn/Cafe and really nice. They organize the Not Since Moses run on the floor of the Bay of Fundy each year, which is why I know it. Along the Glooscap Trail, make sure you stop at That Dutchman's Farm in Economy for some gouda and Dragon's Breath cheese.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

If you have not already ordered a Doers' & Dreamers' Guide to Nova Scotia, please do so at www.novascotia.com. You can be pre-listed for a 2013 Guide &/or get the current 2012. Unfortunately, some of the accommodations open in 2012 will be closed in 2013 as operators decide to sell, etc. You can also ask for a Nova Scotia Bed & Breakfast Association "Sea & Stay B&B Locator Map" or visit www.nsbedandbreakfast.com for licensed/inspected B&Bs around our province.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,187 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

Some attractions will not be open or fully open in May. Louisbourg would be one of these. It would be off season there: pc.gc.ca/eng/…heures-hours.aspx

The Alexander Graham Bell Museum is open in May.

The Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg is open year round and so are the museums in Halifax.

The Habitation at Port Royal opens on May 15.

Some whale watching does not start until later but some operators start in mid May. However the best whale watching is later in the season.

I think you would want two nights in Parrsboro if you are at all interested in the fossil beaches, tides and scenic walks. The Joggins Fossil Centre will be open as will The Fundy Geological Museum in Parrsboro.

The advantage of coming early is quieter roads and fewer tourists. It is a joy to go to Peggy's Cove in the off season.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

In the Parrsboro area yo are near one of the most spectacular outdoor destinations in eastern Canada, which very few people know about, but with what you like doing could be the highlight of your trip. Many stop at Parrsboro as they really don't know that the environment can change so much just 30 minutes further up the road, leading you into the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or region. You can a bit of a idea about the area at www.capechignecto.net

www.fundyfun.com Some sites that cater to serious hikers and nature lovers also have descriptions of the Cape Chignecto area, googling Cape Chignecto can be a start. Instead of a day or two, you can easily spend a week in the area - one of the hikes itself takes 3-4 days to complete and is the most spectacular coastal hiking trail in eastern Canada, comparable to the west coasts Pacific Rim.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

You have some great feedback above, I would also look at Angie from Syracuse's posts " Maritime Adventure Part 1-4 " so far.- she has also done quite a few reviews you might find helpful you can also email her directly through message centre and i am sure she would be more than happy to advise based on her recent experiences.

While at White Point it is not far to tour around Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, go to Ovens Park, Blue Rocks, Green Bay, La Havre,.etc and of course further down easily do a day trip to Yarmouth taking coast road one way through Barrington, Pubnico, Argyle, Tusket etc. Another day you could visit Keji National Park

Whatever you decide hope you have fun planning for a great trip!

Edited: 17 September 2012, 19:55
Prudhoe, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

I've had a read of most of, if not all of Angie's feedback. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with information. There's so much to see and do. I know we are spending a good amount of time in NS but im not sure it'll be enough. I need to win the lottery and then we can spend as long as we want.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

There's probably never really enough time to spend in Nova Scotia - but I'm sure in the time you have you'll find it incredible. It has that effect on people!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions on potential itinerary for Nova Scotia trip please

I think you have a good grasp on things. A couple thoughts:

You don't mention visiting the Wolfville area of the Annapolis Valley. It is a great area and would be really nice in May and early June. In particular that is apple blossom time and there is a huge festival for it with lots going on and if the timing is right the blossoms will be out in full force which makes for some wonderful photos. http://www.appleblossom.com/ Wolfville area has great hiking (Cape Split, Blomidon Provincial Park), great restaurants and food vendors such as The Tangled Garden and Fox Hill Cheese and Just Us Coffee, many wineries (I think there are now at least 10 in the area), some nice beaches (Evangeline Beach, Houston's Beach), lots of farmers markets and fruit and veggie farms, scenic views (fruit farms, The Look Off, rolling hills, Minas Basin, etc), close to Halls Harbour which is a nice cute fishing village and some great B&Bs. Also home to Grand Pre historic site. It is a very popular tourist area. If you decide to drive to Digby/Annapolis Royal for a night (which I love too - check out the ghost walk tour at Fort Anne at night - I did this a couple years ago and loved it!) you may want to consider driving a little further in the valley and checking out Wolfville for a night too. Wolfville is located about 1 hour from Halifax, 1.5 hours from Lunenburg, and 1.5 hours from Digby, so not that far out of the way.

I love Sugar Moon Farm! Love it!

I recently visited The Train Station Inn. I did not spend the night but I did get to see many of the rooms and eat at the restaurant. So cute and a great little place. I think you will like it.

Enjoy your trip to Nova Scotia. I'm positive you'll love it too :)

Edited: 19 September 2012, 01:19