We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Maritime Adventure Part 4

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
499 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
A Maritime Adventure Part 4

After a another hearty breakfast we said our goodbyes to Lyne, the very hospitable manager at Maison Fiset House B&B who gave us good recommendations for dining and sights to see in the area. We left Cheticamp and headed north for the 3rd time but this time we traveled all around the Cabot Trail stopping at many of the scenic overlooks. It was a beautiful September day. Temperatures in the mid 70's. Some of our favorite stops after Pleasant Bay which we had visited and enjoyed the two previous days were at Aspy Fault, Hanging Valleys, Neil’s Harbour, Black Brook Cove, and Green Cove. We stopped at the Keltic Lodge (Coastal Waters Restaurant wasn’t yet open at 11:45 am.) and enjoyed our lunch at the Pub.

After leaving the Cabot Trail we took the Englishtown Ferry on our way to Sydney. We stopped at St. Ann’s lookoff and then Kelly’s Mt for a beautiful view of Bras d’Or Lakes and the bridge over St. Patrick’s Channel. We found our way to Bryden Manor B&B overlooking Bras d'Or Lake. Bryden Manor is a beautiful large private home with 2 guest suites. We had the entire downstairs to ourselves and loved the tranquility and view of the lake.

The next day after a delicious Bananas Foster french toast and bacon breakfast and good conversation with our very welcoming hosts we set out from our B&B to the town of Louisbourg to visit the lighthouse and Fortress Louisbourg. Our first stop was Lighthouse Point which was the location of the first lighthouse in Canada. Although long gone (the first two burned down), the foundations of the original lighthouses are still there. The current lighthouse was built in 1923, one year after the second burned.

We then visited the Fortress of Louisbourg which is North America’s largest historical reconstruction. Even though it was a beautiful sunny and warm day there were very few people there. We enjoyed our afternoon walking through the Fortress.

On our final full day in Nova Scotia we drove over to Baddeck to visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. We knew of his invention of the telephone but learned that he made important contributions to the fields of medicine, aeronautics, marine engineering and genetics. He also carried out extensive research in the areas of electricity, sound, and speech, but the one closest to his heart was his interest in improving the teaching of the deaf. Quite a guy!!

After another gourmet breakfast and great conversations with our hosts we left Bryden Manor and made the pretty 3 hour drive to the ferry. We had a wonderful 15 days in Nova Scotia and met such friendly people, both the locals and folks we met at our B&B’s: BC, Alberta, Ontario, UK, Texas, MA, to name a few. We loved staying at the B&B’s not only for the wonderful accommodations but for the knowledge of the local areas that the innkeepers share with us.

Again, a great big thank you to all of you lovely and helpful people on this forum. Off we go to PEI for the last week of our travels!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Maritime Adventure Part 4

Angie, this is another great trip report. It sounds like you had a great time.

There is an article in the Halifax paper today about the lighthouse in Louisbourg. I am glad you found it.

I am curious about how you found Louisbourg in the shoulder season. Were there many animators working in Louisbourg? Were there restaurants or pubs open?

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A Maritime Adventure Part 4

Thanks again Angie, glad to hear all went well with your choices will see if there are some reviews.

Hope you have an equally Great visit to PEI and safe trip home.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Maritime Adventure Part 4

Thank you Angie,

I have enjoyed all your reports.

You have given me some new ideas for my trip around CB coming up.

Thanks again,

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
499 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Maritime Adventure Part 4

Thank you, ladies! I'm glad you enjoyed my reports. It was the least I could do after all the help you gave me with the planning. As far as Louisbourg goes, We didn't see very many animators, but a few here and there. There was one restaurant open but we chose to wait until we left there to eat. It was a beautiful day and we did enjoy walking all around and through many of the buildings. It was interesting even though there wasn't a lot going on.

5. Re: A Maritime Adventure Part 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 02:19