We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip Nova Scotia

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Round trip Nova Scotia

Hello,

I'll be travelling to Nova Scotia in October, arriving in Halifax late on the 11th. I have booked the first three night in Halifax to "get settled" and I want to go on a round trip after that.

My plan so far:

"clockwise" Lighthouseroute (Lunenburg, Yarmouth, Digby), ferry to St. John, Charlottetown (yes, I know I's includ NB and PEI despite my title...), Cape Breton (maybe staying in Chéticamp and Ingonish Bay), going back to Halifax via Sydney.

My flight out is on the 27th.

Any thoughts? I have just started to search the web for autum colour report not being that succesful. I was wondering, whether it might be a better idea to drive up to Cape Breton first (i.e. on the 14/15th) and then going round the "other" way (counterclockwise so to speak).

Obviously, I am hoping to catch colourful leaves (photography being one of my hobbies besides traveling) and I fear I might be a bit late. I just didn't get off from work earlier than this.

Any suggestions on how the season is changing right now are welcome.

Thanks for your support!

Best regards

Michael

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

Here is the latest report. It was just two posts down from yours;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k58001…

You may be best to go to Cape Breton first.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

Thanks for the information!

I guess I'll drive up North first.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

If you like wineries and farmers markets you might want to consider a day or at least an afternoon in the Wolfville area of the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. October is a very busy and popular time of year for the Wolfville area and would offer some great opportunities for photos at places such as the wineries, the look off (on top of the north mountain which overlooks the valley with its farmers fields, Minas Basin water, and small towns), pumpkin fields and apple orchards, tangled garden, Blomidon cliffs, Halls Harbour, old B&Bs in Wolfville, etc. Wolfville is about 1 hour drive from Halifax, and can be done as a day trip. If you end up switching your trip around and take the ferry from Saint John to Digby and then drive back to Halifax to catch your flight you could stop at Wolfville on your way back to Halifax as an option.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

http://bit.ly/QYvKPN

The above is a possible route doing what you mention with Wolfville and area added.

If you leave out New Brunswick you could do this:

http://bit.ly/SyrWIe

This one includes the wonderful shore from Advocate Harbour through Parrsboro and along the Minas Basin. It also allows you to see more of the South Shore.

If you like old wooden houses, we have several towns full of them (Annapolis Royal, Amherst, Yarmouth, Shelburne and others). I was in Yarmouth a couple weeks ago and they have a brochure with a walking tour highlighting some of the interesting old buildings. I took a similar tour in Wolfville many years ago.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

For our 2 week visit a few years back we started with 3 nights in Halifax, 2 nights in Digby, 4 nights Cape Breton, 2 nights Liscombe Mills and back to Halifax got 3 nights. From Halifax we visited Peggy's Cove, Lunnenberg etc as well as seeing the points of interest in Halifax. In Digby and Cape Breton we went whale watching. Our stay in Cape Breton was made more enjoyable by our stay at Keltic Lodge. Enroute to Liscombe we visited Sherbrooke village preserved as it was left many years ago. We were lucky enough to see the Tall Ships back in Halifax too.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

Thank you all for the replies. There are a lot of really great ideas!

I've already amended my travel plans and I loved the tips about Wolfville and maryann's advice. Just about to go online to read up a bit more, but I guess you just got great ideas and I'll try to follow up as many as I can fit in my time in Canada. :-)

Thanks a lot!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

If you have any more questions, ask away!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

Be sure to hit up the Saint John City Market, the fresh food available is awesome and I found an awesome fricot mix there, very good for a mixed soup!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

Some of the most dramatic nature photos you will get will be in the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area. www.capedor.ca www.capchignecto.net

http://www.coastaladventures.com/CapChig.html

Also some of the best food at www.wildcaraway.com

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Round trip Nova Scotia

Wow, thanks for the other tips.

I actually have another question. And I fear it might be a very stupid one...

In Cape Breton, are there any motels or B&B on the route between Chéticamp and Ingonish Beach? I haven't been able to find any other accomodations except one Golf resort that's way out of my budget.

I'll probably just check in Halifax with the Nova Scotia Visitor's Centre, but it would be nice to know in advance, whether there are other options.