We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
9 day trip in Nova Scotia

We were planning to spend about 9 days in Nova Scotia in late August of this year. Were thinking about taking 2 of those days to spend on PEI. My initial itineray included Advocate Harbour. One post on trip advisor said not to bother with Advocate Harbour that there wasn't much there. Any opinions on that? I am an avid photographer and both my husband and I love the outdoors. We are in our late 40's. We were planning on traveling from Halifax to Peggy's cove, Lunenburg to Digby, doing the Tidal Bore rafting in Maitland then up to Advocate Harbour back around to Pictou, then taking the ferry to PEI. The last 3 days we planned on touring the Northeast including Cape Breton, Louisborg, Cabot Trail, etc. If Advocate Harbour isn't worth stopping it would cut a good chunk of travel time of our schedule. Any opinons welcomed along with your opinions on the rest of our schedule.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

I am not sure the context of individual who said not to bother with Advocate but based on your interests I would think it would be one of the highlights of your trip.

There is a fabulous restaurant/ Inn there titled Wild Caraway not to be missed. Also visit to Joggins and Cap D'or. There ia a detailed trip report titled Maritime Adventure Part 1-4, insert in search box just below. This is description from a discerning traveller, they spent alot of time researching area where to stay ,dine etc. I am sure you would find helpful.

The other highlight of your trip I'm sure will be Cape Breton and Cabot trail.

3 days would be cutting very close. i would suggest freeing up a day somewhere else?

What is your reasoning for Digby? that is long drive across to Digby and not alot there, Annapolis Royal near by is very picturesque and also Fort Anne and Habitation. Personally I would cross at Lunenburg to Windsor or Kentville and spend time around Wolfville, Blomidon, Look off , Cape Split and Grand Pre perhaps visit a few of our wineries.and leave Digby area for another visit the same with PEI then you'll have good reason to return!!!

Another Trip Report is titled My Nova Scotia Trip report by Greywolf this is accompanied by brilliant pictures and detailed reports.

Hope you find this useful, once you have general itinerary sorted can make some more specific recommendations.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Always remember that each post is an individual opinion & what you might find very interesting about a particular place would not mean much to someone else. I live in the Truro area & often see comments about this town not being as interesting as other Central Nova areas. As a B&B operator, I can "fill" our guests' days easily with local attractions. It all depends on an individual's preferences re scenery, history, shopping, etc.

I think that with your expressed interest in both the outdoors & photography, Advocate Harbour, & indeed the whole "upper" Bay of Fundy area, would be a great place for you to visit. I would advise you to think about where you might want to stay as the accommodations in that area are limited. There is no Holiday Inn as it would not be economically feasible for the seasonal traffic. Depending on the time of your tidal bore rafting, you may have a long day travelling from Maitland to Advocate Harbour but it would be a scenic drive.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Well, it depends on what you are looking for - there certainly isn't anything in Advocate Harbour for touristy shops or amusement parks - but for the outdoors and photography there are few places in eastern Canada that can match it. It is out of the way, but for experiencing the big tides of the Bay of Fundy there isn't a better place. It is a very rugged area, much like the northern tip of Cape Breton, with the largest tides on this planet thrown in to create a coastline that is also unique on this planet.

You mention one post that said there isn't much to see - if you aren't into the outdoors there certainly isn't. I would highly recommend anyone not interested in the outdoors and photography to not go to Advocate Harbour which includes Cape Chignecto and Cape d'Or - stick to the well travelled routes instead.

Advocate and area is also best to spend some time at, not as a road trip stop, because for the outdoor lover there is so much to do. The trails system is one of the best for wilderness hiking in the country and can keep you busy for days. Also nearby is kayaking, horseback riding and paragliding. There are miles of wild beaches, tidal phenomenon such as the Dory Rips and the tide carved Three Sisters, an active fishing village and spectacular sunrise and sunsets that will keep your camera very busy. So if you are you are in for one of the most spectacular and unique outdoor experiences you will find on the east coast of Canada you are going to the right place. You can check out the area a bit on websites such as www.fundyfun.com www.capedor.ca www.driftwoodparkretreat.com or www.capechignecto.net Don't miss the top rate restaurant in the province at the Wild Caraway if you do make it to Advocate Harbour.

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Thanks for your help. I think I will put Advocate Harbour back in. My original thinking was correct by the sounds of the other posts too. I love the scenic places to visit for the photography.

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Thanks for helping me to decide to put Advocate harbour back in to my itinerary. It sounds like just the places I like to see.

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

I guess we were going to Digby for the scallops? I guess we can probably get those anyplace in Nova Scotia. We did want to take the trip to Prince Edward Island though. Do you think if we cut across and left out Digby we would have more time to do Prince Edward Island? My maiden name is MacPhail and we were kind of excited to go to the MacPhail homestead.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Re Digby and Scallops yes you can get wonderful scallops most places in Nova Scotia.

Obviously going to PEI is important therefoe freeing up sometime elsewhere.. Are you flying in and out or driving to Nova Scotia?

For sure cutting out Digby and taking bridge over to PEI would save at least a day if not 2.

Suggestion I night in Lunenburg area next Wolfville area then Parrsboro or Advocate then I would suggest heading to Amherst and taking Bridge to PEI

then spend night and return to NS via Ferry to Pictou and then on to Cape Breton.

This would allow you enough time, depending on weather you could stay a little longer in some areas if you wanted to do a bit of hiking.

How much time you spend driving is up to you obviously if you find too much then you'll have to make some hard choices to cut out a section.

Personally I would plan on the above as a template and adjust when you're here, doesn't have to be carved in stone if the weather is not good for hiking walking etc one day you could move on.

I would also suggest you make tentative bookings for your must see areas,

August is a busy month, in particular Parrsboro or Advocate or Cap D'Or

as not alot of choice there

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k57479…

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

One other suggestions is if you are driving up then you may want to do other way around ie Advocate first then on to Maitland, Wolfville, Lunenburg, Halifax then Cape Breton. On return could take Ferry to PEI and Bridge off on your way home.

Hope some of this is helpful and you have great trip. As mentioned in earlier post some of the trip reports by other visitors also give some great reviews and ideas.

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

Your route makes a lot of sense. we are flying in to Halifax. We're from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I definitely think we'll cut out the Digby stop and take the bridge to PEI for just a one night stay instead. It looks like the Cape Breton area is where the "Scottish" culture is. We are, at least I am (lol) real interested in that area. So more time there makes sense. Would love to attend a ceilidh! Thanks again for your comments. We can't wait!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 day trip in Nova Scotia

I agree with others that The Fundy shore is a good fit for your interests. It is a beautiful area even without going on long hikes or kayaking. There are two geological museums in Parrsboro and Joggins that explain the interesting and important geological discoveries in this area. A guided walk along the fossil beach in Joggins is a must-do in my opinion.

The best scallops I have ever had at a restaurant were at Wild Caraway in Advocate Harbour.

Lulu has given you great ideas of how to organize your trip.

Here is the direct link to recent trip reports:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…