We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

Have finally decided on route for our trip end of Aug 13.

Boston, St John, Tatamagouche, 2 nights Pictou, 3 nights Baddeck, 2 nights Lunenburg,Annapolis Royal, Bangor, Freeport, 2 nights Boston.

Would appreciate some suggestions on places to eat and sights not to be missed. Lighthouses, and white water rafting along with some shopping on the list!!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

Here are a few comments:

I would stay in St. Andrews, NB or around Fundy National Park rather than in Saint John.

If you are planning to go whale watching in the Digby/Brier Island area you may want another night there or in Annapolis Royal.

Do you have a reason to stay a night in Tatamagouche and two more nights in Pictou when they are close to each other?

If for all your Cape Breton time you stay in Baddeck, you will be doing a lot of back and forth driving. Think about staying at least one night on the west coast area, perhaps Cheticamp. From there you can go whale watching and walk the Skyline Trail.

I don't know of any white water rafting, but we do have rafting on the Tidal Bore:

tidalboreraftingpark.com/...24f471e007fde6

adventurenovascotia.com/d...Bore%20Rafting

http://www.shubie.com/

http://www.tidalboreraftingtours.com/

Check this thread to which I made a long post today with lots of places to get more information: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k61095…

Edited: 04 February 2013, 21:38
Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

As the tidal bore rafting is on the upper Bay of Fundy, you might want to change the route a bit and also take in some of the most spectacular scenery in the province in the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area. Plus you could stop at the top rated restaurant in the province at the Wild Caraway in Advocate Harbour. At Cape d'Or and Advocate you can take in the effects of the largest tides on earth, and Cape d'Or has about the most dramatic lighthouse setting you will find anywhere. www.capedor.ca

toronto
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

I personally agree with Maryann that I would stay in either Saint Andrews or Alma/Fundy National Park instead of Saint John. I'm assuming you're not staying in both Tatamagouche and Pictou? If it was me, I'd probably head straight to Cape Breton after New Brunswick, maybe doing an overnight in Pictou on the way if I wanted to break up the drive. Or, with a couple of nights to spare, perhaps the Parrsboro/Advocate Harbour area instead. Or, as you will have already viewed some of the spectacle of the Fundy Tides, instead add them to either Cape Breton (which I love) or for more indepth exploration of the South Shore/Lighthouse Route. The New Brunswick Fundy Shore and these sections of Nova Scotia are particularly scenic parts of North America which is, to me, a major portion of the appeal of these provinces, so I tend to direct people to focus their time on what I feel is the best of this scenery.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

I just like to confirm above suggestions, mine are very much in line with Matt above-those are really the highlights. Did you mean to stay a night in Tatamagouche and Pictou for some specific reason?????

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

Not having traveled to Saint John before, I am curious why this would not be a recommended stop. We are traveling this summer to NS and Newfoundland. We will be driving from Southern New Hampshire. Our first destination is Advocate Harbour for 2 nights before heading on to Cape Breton island. We plan to leave a day early and take 2 days to drive to Advocate Harbour. We thought about St Andrews as an overnight but decided that we really want to spend as much tme as possible in Advocate Harbour. We want to get there early to explore Cape Chigneto and include a kayak tour.

We decided, then, that St John would give us an extra hour of travel time to get to Advocate Harbour, so we can get there around noon-1 PM and not miss out on seeing this beautiful section of NS. Where we decided to stay in St John is near reversing falls and thought it would be cool to see that, since we would not be going through Fundy National Park, although we might go through Fundy NP on the way home.

So I am curious, why not St John as a stop over??

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

re St John there are some very pictureque spots around the area but basically Saint John is an industry city or rather as this link explains it is in transition..

…nbm-mnb.ca/Transition/english/index.asp

As a result feel for tourists St Andrews is a much nicer locale.

toronto
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

Hi - If Saint John is the most convenient overnight stop for you, it's fine. We've done that ourselves a couple of times. It's not an unpleasant little city and there are some decent dining choices. I think our feelings were, as mentioned, to steer the poster to the most scenic areas in Atlantic Canada , and towards that goal, Alma/Fundy National Park is a more interesting stop. But if you won't have time to view the tides (preferrably both low and high for contrast, but especially low - this is one of the most dramatic areas to see them) and maybe enjoy a little of the Park scenery and trails - then you might prefer the convenience of Saint John with its better choice of restaurant options.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

Ok, thanks for answering my question, and that makes sense. I have seen the NB side of the bay but my hubby has not, thus we will experience the NS side first and NB side on the way home. A brief overnight stop in St John makes sense for our purposes.

9. Re: travelling from boston to Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:15