We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Nova Scotia

M M
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches in Nova Scotia

I am looking to spend July 1 and 2 in Nova Scotia, but on the beach. Any suggestion as to particular beaches that have the warmest water at that time?

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

I think the warmest beaches are along the Northumberland Shore of Nova Scotia but my personal two favorite beaches in NS are Clam Harbour Beach and Rissers Beach if you are looking for a nice sandy beach. Might be a bit colder but both are very popular choices.

M M
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

Do you have suggestions in the Northumberland area?

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

There are beaches along Northumberland straight from Amherst to causeway and up the coast of Cape Breton along Iinvernss and Margaree.

Are you looking for seclusion or activity if latter probably Tidnish, Heather and Melmerby busiest.

Rushton's outside of Tatamagouche is one of my favorites and also one of the warmest water, salt marsh wonderful for birds, nice picnic area.

Great spot.

The beaches on the Atlantic are beautiful but July1st water freezing, better in late August.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,321 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

There are dozens of choices. Find a place to stay anywhere along the Northumberland Shore. I'll put in a plug for the beach near me:

novascotia.com/en/…2050

July 1 in Pugwash is a festival day (Gathering of the Clans) and there will be entertainment and fireworks in the evening on the waterfront of the village.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 19:04
M M
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

I have 3 kids so I am looking for beach that would be interesting to them and warm water for them and me.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

A couple of years ago I stayed in Pictou at the Pictou Lodge Resort. The beach was lovely as I'm sure it is in all the other places mentioned above. This place was very nice with lots of activities for the kids. From our room we could see PEI across the Northhumberland Strait.

Here is the link of the resort and you can see a photo of the beach on the home page....

http://www.pictoulodge.com/

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

The ones mentioned above on the Northumberland straight are going to be the warmest there is.

Rushton's is secluded ,sheltered and warm.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

According to today's CBC news, Pictou Lodge has gone into receivership. It will stay open until a buyer can be found but sometimes that can cause problems for guests/reservations.

I think either Heather's or Rushtons' beach will be a great place in early July. I used to spend many happy hours in my younger years on the Northumberland Shore; terrific memories! Just remember these are not "commercialized" beaches so bring your lunch/snacks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

Melmerby Beach is my children's favorite

Melmerby Beach is my children's favorite along with Caribou. Melmerby has washroom facilities (sinks, flushing toilets, and changing area), but Caribou only has a few outhouses and some picnic tables.

We spend as much time at the beach as we possibly can.

10. Re: Beaches in Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 07:16