We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your advice please!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Your advice please!

We have 12 nights to spend in Nova Scotia the end of September. That doesn't include our 2 nights in Halifax flying in and out. So we were thinking 4 nights Cape Breton, 3 nights Bay of Fundy, and 2 in Lunenberg area. BUT should we concentrate on Nova Scotia or would it be a good idea to go over to PEI for 3 nights. Is it worth traveling between Digby and Lunenberg following the coast. Or would there be more beauty to see on PEI? We don't like to be super busy. We are renting a car. We like nature, small hikes, hope to whale watch and enjoy good food.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,167 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your advice please!

I'd try to find two days for pEI, it's definitely worth it...

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Your advice please!

Were you planning to Whale Watch in Digby or Brier Island? If so would take 101 highway from Wolfville.

Personally I would not bother with doing coast around to Digby from Lunenburg.. You may wish to do a day trip from Lunenburg to Ovens Park and Blue Rocks, also Rissers beach and Petite Rivere.

Great restaurants in Lunenburg- Fleur De Sel excellent but steep, less formal Magnolia's is great.

I suggest then going across to Windsor and spend night in Wolfville area visiting Halls Harbour, Blomidon, and Cape Split and of course Look off.

Visit Grand Pre Designated UNESCO World Heritage in 2012, site of the expulsion of Acadians many of which settled in Louisianna..

If interested in Wineries there are at least 8 in the area, Grand Pre and Lucketts also have great restaurants. At the end of September the Annapolis Valley will be at it's best with overladen Farmers Markets and of course close to harvesting time at the wineries.

You could then travel along Minas Basin through Walton, Maitland and then on to Parrsboro stopping at Joggins Fossil Museum and up to Advocate, Wild Caraway is #1 Restaurant in Nova Scotia and wonderful spot to view tides and hike this is a highlight of Nova Scotia so should not miss this area.

If desired you could then take Confederation Bridge to PEI, one night would do, then come back via ferry to Pictou and on to Cape Breton.

Depending on time of day I would suggest heading to Baddeck for first night maybe relax in the area next day, visit Bell Musueum and surrounding area, maybe visit Iona and Highland village

Chanterelle Inn very popular and excellent food.

You could then head up the trail counter clockwise, some prefer clockwise toss up, to Ingonish, Pleasant Bay ( whale watching here too) and around to Cheticamp and Margaree- a couple night on this side would give you time to explore.

Normaway Inn in Margaree great spot excellent local food, also Rusty Anchor in Pleasant Bay and Coastal in Ingonish

Head down coast to Inverness and Mabou do stop Red Shoe Pub then on to Port Hood and the causeway

Hope that helps and gives you some ideas..

Edited: 02 May 2013, 14:00
Tusket, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Your advice please!

I can't agree about skipping the area between Digby and Lunenburg. There's lots to see, and you'd miss the major living Acadian culture area. See www.novascotiabackyard.com/ and www.bontempsnovascotia.ca. The nights you were planning for Bay of Fundy could be spent on a leisurely loop.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your advice please!

You said it right in your post. We don't like to be super busy.

If you want to 'see it all' and 'cram it all in' then go to PEI. It's a beautiful province.

But if you really want to relax and enjoy Nova Scotia, don't miss the trip along the coast from Digby around to Chester. It's really beautiful.

If you like to hike, check out this web site. It will help you plan things out.

http://www.novatrails.com/

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your advice please!

So it comes down to going all the way down the South Shore or going to PEI. They are both great in their own way, but I think you would get greater variety by going to PEI. Three days may be more than you need there so you could perhaps add one more to Lunenburg and get a bit further down the south shore of Nova Scotia.

I love the Pubnico area and you could visit the Acadian Village in Lower West Pubnico. If you eat at the Red Cap Motel be sure to have their haddock with lobster sauce. It is amazing. I have tried and failed to duplicate the recipe.

museum.gov.ns.ca/av/en/home/default.aspx

redcaprestaurantandmotel.com/Seafood_Restaur…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g652394-d6325…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your advice please!

Thanks for such great advice. Do you think we need lodging reservations if we are going the last 2 weeks of September?

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your advice please!

I would concentrate on Nova Scotia due to your likes of nature and not being too busy, so a more relaxed trip. Lulu has a good route, although I would include the trip to Digby and down to Brier or the Tiverton area for the outstanding whale watching there. For the small hikes, some of the best in Canada are in the Cape Chignecto area at the Eatonville entrance - easy walks to amazing views. I wouldn't put too much reliance on the novatrails site mentioned above - only two hiking trails in Cape Breton??? Not sure if its a work in progress or what. For a more comprehensive list check out www.trails.gov.ns.ca

PEI is a nice place to go in the off season but for a relaxed pace and a emphasis on nature I would spend more tie on Cape Breton and the north end of the Bay of Fundy.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your advice please!

You should be OK making last minute accommodation decisions as long as you are flexible. Some places close in early September so you should be aware of that and have an idea of what is available along your route.

9. Re: Your advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Nova Scotia