We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

Hello everyone.

I am going to travel east coast by driving in July with my family. We planed to enter PEI by a ferry and leave there by Confederation bridge. I studied that it is free to enter PEI but pave to pay when you leave.

I heard that reservation for ferry is recommanded during the busy season. Threrfore I went on the Northumberland Ferries Limited web site to book but noticed that you can book for only round trip. So I phoned them and explained my situation. The lady on a line said that if people want guarantee for their spot, you make reservation and you have to pay. This is non refundable. It will cost about $77 for my family. If you don't want to pay, you have to arrive the port early due to "first come first served". The lady said that bad scenario sometimes happen if you don't book. If you are lucky, you can get on next ferry but if you are unlucky, have to wait till next day or whenever you can get on....

I don't want to be super stingy to mess our trip plan. But since I know that we are obliged to pay only when we leave PEI, $77 for ferry and $44.50 for the brige seem bit too expensive.

Any thoughts or experience stories would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

How far away are you staying from the ferry the night before? If it isn't too far, I would think that if you got to the ferry fairly early and even if you somehow didn't make the first one, then hopefully you would make the 2nd one. I thought that during the peak summer months they had more crossings scheduled. Maybe during the week rather than the weekend, it wouldn't be quite so backed up and your chance of getting on the ferry would be better than having to wait for the next or next ferry. Last October we went from Grand Etang, Cape Breton to PEI, taking the ferry on a Sunday, leaving Thursday on the bridge. Had no problems at all, although there were a good bit of cars on the ferry, more than I would have thought. We did go in October which explains why we really didn't have any problems with the ferry and after the few days on PEI, I believe PEi is definiteIy a summer destination. Several years ago we took ferries from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia and then Matane to Baie Commeau in Quebec 1 way and because it was summer we were strongly encouraged to make reservations ahead of time. It is rather strange that the Nova Scotia to PEI ferry doesn't offer the same. I too saw about making reservations, calling and being told "no", reservations are only for round trips, which we had no interest or time in doing. Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155022-i619-k3625…

Hopefully this link will reassure you. If you go to the PEI forum, and enter 'one way reservation on ferry' or something like that....you will see this is an ongoing question and so far, most folks have never encountered a problem. As someone pointed out, if you miss the ferry, take the bridge!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

A couple years ago I went in the middle of July and drove right on the ferry. I would surprised if you would have to wait for the next ferry let alone ones after that. It is not that long a drive to the bridge, so as others have said, if you see a long wait time, just go for the bridge. The lineups do not happen so much because it is so easy to take the bridge.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 02:55
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

I've used the PEI ferry lots of times in the summers and have never had to wait for the next one. We usually plan to be at the terminal 30-45 min early and have never had a problem.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

You could always just take the ferry there and back.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

Thank you very much for quick reply, everyone.

The day we planed to take a ferry is on July 15, Monday. Our plan was to leave Cheticamp that morning and take a ferry to PEI and stay one night in Charlottetown and stay in Cavendish for next night and head to Moncton for one night. Accomodation is all booked. I thought that taking ferry takes shorter time to get to PEI (if we can ge on bord the time we want) than bridge. Also my son, 11, never had a ferry ride. Thought it would be fun for him.

But since I read everyone's advise, I made a slight change to our plan.

We may still try a ferry without making a reservation. But I cancelled the hotel in Charlottetown and booked an additional night in Cavendish. So if we don't make it to a ferry, we take bridge and go straight to Cavendish.

From the Caribou ferry port to Confederation Bridge, I assume that high way 104 is the fastest way. Is it scenic? How about the road connects between Pictou and Amherst. It is runnning along sea line. Taking too long?

It will be great if someone can give me some info.

Thank you very much.

Mentioned in this post
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Cavendish
Cavendish
Moncton
Moncton
New Brunswick, Canada
Confederation Bridge
Confederation Bridge
258 Reviews
Bayfield, Canada
Pictou
Pictou
Nova Scotia, Canada
Amherst
Amherst
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

I agree with you booking in Cavendish. If you get on the ferry reasonably early you will get to Cavendish with no problem.

Here are some maps for you:

http://goo.gl/maps/4EcyE Cheticamp to Caribou

http://goo.gl/maps/2qcsm The ferry ride

http://goo.gl/maps/vhTaH Wood Islands to Cavendish

http://goo.gl/maps/aMDHi Cheticamp to Cavendish PEI on the shore road which I recommend.

Mentioned in this post
Cavendish
Cavendish
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

Maryann-ns, thank you so much for all the information.

So, it makes only about 35 min. difference driving from Cheticamp to Cavendish by highway or the shore road.

And suprisingly, it takes same amount of time driving all the way from Cheticamp to Cavendish on the shore road or take a ferry. Hmm.....

Well, we have all day to reach Cavendish that day. We will take time and enjoy driving with beautiful scenary.

Thank you for all for giving me great advice and information. I am so looking forward to been there!

Mentioned in this post
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Cavendish
Cavendish
9. Re: Ferry from Caribou, NS to Woods Island, PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:16