We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

We (a couple at 50"s) will flight to Halifax on Sep 10 and return home in the morning of Sep. 18, 2013. Your itinerary suggestions for 7 days self-driving in NS are really appreciated. We also have some question regarding this trip:

1. Which route should we take between Baddeck and Halifax?

2. If have a choice, Hopewell cave or Advocate Harbour to see the tide?

3. How many days to cover Cabot Trail? Is Skyline trail a must see, since we like moderate hiking?

4. Do we have time for one day visit to Prince Edward Island? Which part of the Island we have to see, thanks.

5. Please let us know your favorite and must see list.

Your travel experience would make our trip much more rich and coloful.

Kenneth & Nancy

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

Here is a travel plan with things to do for the areas you are thinking of in Nova Scotia

novascotia.com/en/…winewhiskeyandwhales

This trip report talks about some of the areas you are considering

tripadvisor.ca/…28969302

For your tidal experience it would depend on whether you are interested in the commercialized, high volume attraction of Hopewell or the more natural, wild experience of the legendary Three Sisters at Advocate Harbour/Cape Chignecto, which also has the attraction of the Dory Rips at Cape d'Or.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

Hi:

First of all be sure to check out the Nova Scotia website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Do some searching below putting in terms like 7 days. There have been several similar postings recently.

Now for some of your questions:

1. Which route should we take between Baddeck and Halifax? ---- the fastest way is on the Trans Canada Highway. Much slower and more scenic is to take the Eastern Shore. You will have to decide your priorities;

http://goo.gl/maps/am83c

http://goo.gl/maps/o9m8U

http://goo.gl/maps/Czqrf

2. If have a choice, Hopewell cave or Advocate Harbour to see the tide? ---- Of course we in Nova Scotia will say Advocate Harbour. It is far less touristy. Search below for "Advocate Harbour" and "tides" to see previous posts.

3. How many days to cover Cabot Trail? Is Skyline trail a must see, since we like moderate hiking? ---- You can drive around the Cabot Trail in one day but if you want to hike or go whale watching, etc. you will need longer. The Skyline Trail is wonderful. It is easy walking and fairly level until the end when you find yourself at the top of the hill looking down a long way to the ocean. You can see the Cabot Trail winding around below. You can take well built wooden steps down to a lookoff platform. When I was there one October, people were watching pilot whales in the water below. We just missed seeing moose but saw a bear across a ravine from us.

4. Do we have time for one day visit to Prince Edward Island? Which part of the Island we have to see, thanks. ----- Again that is up to you. You can drive along the central north shore of PEI in one day but you will be taking away a day from here. With the route I show below you could stay there one night.

Here is a possible route to take in Cape Breton, PEI and Advocate Harbour. You can look at the driving times, adding at least 20% for stops and traffic. http://bit.ly/11UZLni

With the above route you will get a taste of what we have. If you try to do more (and you will be tempted) you will taste less. You could stay in Cape Breton 4 nights, PEI one night, somewhere near Advocate Harbour two nights and near the airport one night.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 02:07
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

Thanks Maryann:

your advices are so comprehensive and resourceful, I definitely will put them into my travel planning. I was told that Fortress of Louisbourg is a wonderful place: do we have time for it? Would you please amend your map route of Cape Breton and indicate the driving direction: clockwise or counterclockwise.

Thanks again.

Kenneth

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

The map I had before had you going counter clockwise but you could have easily switched around. Here is a map showing the clockwise route. I have added in Louisbourg. When you get your roadmap you will see there are many other ways you could go to and from Louisbourg and I have not been there recently to comment further on which is preferable: http://goo.gl/maps/2ra6E

Be sure to order your map here: novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

Hi, kayakdover:

After reading your last paragraph, our choice must be Advocate Harbour. Would we have enough time, if we started from Amherst then visit Advocate Harbour/Cape Chignecto, and go back to Halifax hotel? Thanks

Kenneth

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

You should have enough time, Advocate is around 1 hour and 20 minutes drive from Amherst. You would want to visit the Eatonville entrance to Cape Chignecto, which would take around 2 and a half hours to walk the easy trails there. Probably also go see the lighthouse at Cape d'Or. Its a 3 hour drive to Halifax from Advocate.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

Unless Anne of Green Gables or some other attraction for the Island I would skip and either add to Cape Breton or go to Lunenburg for a night from Halifax..Visit Ovens Park, Blue Rocks even Peggy's Cove on way back to Halifax. Splurge and spend the night at the Addington Arms.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g182187-d491325-…

www.explorelunenburg.ca

Here are some great articles

www.thestar.com/life/travel/novascotia.html

what ever you decide hope you have great trip!

8. Re: Need help : 7 days itinerary suggestions in Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:20