We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garmin GPS

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Garmin GPS

I'm thinking about purchasing the Canada maps to add to our Garmin GPS. Can anyone advise whether or not this is worthwhile? (We DO tend to get lost easily!)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garmin GPS

I am surprised they are not included with your current maps. I have a Garmin and it has maps for all of North America. I find it useful, especially for specific addresses.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garmin GPS

Mine only has 49 states (HI not included) . Thanks!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garmin GPS

Hi

I would buy the North America maps so when you upgrade you get everything BUT if your unit is a few years old , then I would compare the cost of the maps vs getting a new unit with NA maps; it may be only a slight increase with a bunch of new features.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garmin GPS

The GPS is great to have, but you certainly don't want to depend on it entirely in Nova Scotia. I know that quite often they will send you onto gravel roads in more remote areas as they show the shortest route - which of course they are not when you consider the speed you will travel.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garmin GPS

I know what you mean kayakdover - more than once it has sent us down a deadend road! But at least we don't get lost quite as often with it! LOL!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garmin GPS

I agree about the back road problem. We tried it here in Cumberland County and it had some bizarre suggestions. Be sure to have a map as well, and local people here are very friendly and willing to help.

7. Re: Garmin GPS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:17