We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Hi We are spending a night in Annapolis Royal and 2 nights on Brier's Island for whale watching, then we are driving to Wolfville for a night and then Parrsboro for 3 nights with kayaking scheduled for Advocate Harbour. Any suggests for what to see, where to eat, and activities along the way from Brier Island to Wolfville? I want to break up the drive. I know about Balancing Rock but thats all. Thanks!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Since you have already spent time in Annapolis Royal, I'd suggest the Delap's Cove Wilderness Trail on the Bay of Fundy coast not far from Annapolis Royal. There are a couple of trails that are not very difficult with look-off points & a spectacular waterfall.

Look under Hiking on this website.

www.annapolis-valley-vacation.com

If you are only spending 1 night in Wolfville, I'd wouldn't wait too late in the day to arrive in that area. There is lots to see & do in that area.

Another option on your route is take a detour into Bear River just east of Digby. It's a unique small village that you might enjoy taking a stroll through.

www.bearriver.ca

Edited: 18 July 2013, 19:08
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

I agree that there is lots to do and see in and around Wolfville. There is the scenic lookoff at Blomidon, lots of wineries, the National Historic Site at Grand Pre, shops, galleries and restaurants. There are lovely drives in the area, many of which you will take when visiting wineries. For an amazing view be sure to go to Gaspereau to Luckett's winery.

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Thanks so much. We will have only an evening in Annapolis Royal because we want to canoe in Keji on our way up. I think I have over planned. We are spending 1 nite at Peggy's Cove, one in Lunenburg, one in Annapolis Royal, 2 at Brier Island, one in Wolfville and 3 in Parrsboro. Do you advise differently? I hate being in the car so I thought we would just drive and end up in new places instead of back tracking, but we have never done that before. Usually we do day trips from a home base or 2. We want to see fishing villages, beautiful scenery, the tide effects, canoe, hike, kayak and eat good food. History, art, and photography are interests too. So I didn't know where to start. We have reserved whale watching at Brier Island and sea kayaking at Advocate Harbour and I have mapped out a nice drive and stops from Peggy's Cove to Lunenburg. The rest is not planned. Any advice is appreciated. We are an active middle aged couple and my husband loves the great outdoors.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

You have to make some choices with the limited time you have and we have many places and things to tempt you. In order to see more of the Annapolis Valley and Wolfville you would have to spend less or no time at Keji.

I am not quite clear on the order of things. You are going from Lunenburg to Annapolis Royal to Brier Island and back to Annapolis Royal? You may not need to stay there after your whale watching.

You have two nights at Brier Island. You may not need two nights there, although I'm sure you will find things to do. Maybe you can look at that again.

The shape of our province, our sparse population and distances make it hard to set up a base and branch out. You are better off doing what you plan and moving from place to place.

But the area around Halifax to Lunenburg, including Peggy's Cove is small and you could stay in one place there. http://goo.gl/maps/qqwRE

Edited: 18 July 2013, 21:09
New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

I would suggest Lunenburg for the 1st night as it's not that far from Peggy's Cove.

You might want to stay the next 2 nights in Annapolis Royal, as that will give you time to enjoy that area. Then 1 night would be enough for Brier Island; it's a neat island, but very small. The balancing Rock near Tiverton is very interesting & is not a long trail.

That would allow you time to spend 2 nights in the Wolfville/Grand Pre area. It's a beautiful area with a good selection of accommodations, restaurants & wineries. You are close to the Bay of Fundy & Minas Basin. A very popular hike is the Cape Split Trail, it's aprox 2 hrs each way, well worth the view at the end of the trail.

Then you can continue on to Parrsboro for your time there.

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Thanks Maryann. Peggy's Cove is just our starting point. We will travel all day to get there. Florida to Philidelphia to Halifax to Peggy's Cove, so I thought it would be a good place to stop and have a short hike and dinner and a rest. The next day will be for exploring the south coast, I planned a leisurely drive thru New Harbour, Deep Cove, Chester, Indian Point, Oakland, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and the Ovens with an overnight in Lunenburg. Then the next day canoeing in Keji and overnight in Annapolis Royal. So I won't have much time in AR. Next 2 nites at Briar Island for the whales, birds, and hikiing and then on to Wolfville for only a night. Its the drive on this day that I haven't planned and I don't know how much we can fit in... Balancing Rocks, Digby, more of AR and Wolfville. and I just read the book "Birth House" which takes place in Scots Bay and mentions Canning and Blomindon and Cape Split.So of course I want to go see that area too. Yikes. I know I can't do it all. So I need help narrowing it down. And also need help for sights on the drive for the next day from Wolfville to Parrosborro. I hate planning so much in advance but with such short stays and tourist season, I don't want to waste time making lots of decisions, getting directions, and looking for places to stay. I don't think my AT&T service will work well in NS so I won't have much access to google either. You're so right about too many choices! I want to do it all! Thank you all.Your suggestions have been helpful.

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Thanks Fundygirlr. My husband would love that hike to Cape Split. We could do it in the morning. I sure hope the weather is nice. What time is does it get dark?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

I would go direct to Wolfville from Brier Island. You have lots to do there. I would also go direct to the Fundy Shore. You just can't poke around everywhere.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Yes, I'd suggest starting out in the morning & taking a picnic. Scots Bay is where the trail starts, my favourite beach for rock hounding is located in this small village.

You'll also be interested to know that the author of " the Birth House" lives in that village.

Have you read her next book "The Virgin Cure"; another excellent book?

Take advantage of the local tourist info centres on your travels, they will be a big help.

The one in Wolfville is on the Main St by Willow Park. And keep the N.S. tour guide "Doers & Dreamers" with you, it has a wealth of information. I'm from Nova Scotia, but still always carry it with me when I travel there.

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stop on drive from Brier Island to Wolfville??

Fundygirl you are awesome! I can't wait! And I will read her other book before I leave. Any other local literature you recommend?