We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

need tips and advice on kids friendly itineraries around nova scotia by RV. one week duration with 2 kids, 8 and 4. points of interest? go up to cape breton for the whole time or make it to the bay of fundy? originating and returning to halifax. please help! we leave in 10 days!

thanks in advance

celia

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

Hi. it's great you are coming here. One week is nowhere near enough time to see everything. You have some flexibility with an RV.

You could spend the whole time in Cape Breton. It will take the best part of a day to get there and the same coming back which would give you five or so days there. You will need this amount of time if you want to go whale watching, hiking, kaying, visiting Louisbourg and other museums, etc.

If you have any time left the Fundy shore of Nova Scotia is a great place to go.

Start some basic research in these places:

1. Go here to the Nova Scotia visitors website and request a guide book and map and study all the information on the website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

2. Go here to read trip reports from previous visitors: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

3. Go back to the main Nova Scotia page here and look at other current threads which likely will contain useful information for you: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_S…

Then come back with more questions.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 18:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

With an 8 and a 4-year-old, I would plan to spend some time at the beach. Cape Breton has lovely beaches on both sides. If I remember correctly the water is warmer on the Port Hood to Cheticamp side, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

At that age, though, our kids also liked

-the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg

(you can climb around on a wooden schooner and see where the crew slept below and climb around part of a big metal trawler; there is a small aquarium with tanks with different kinds of fish and sea life; there is sometimes a touch tank; there are "clues" to find around the museum. My kids at that age didn't read them, they just liked the hide n seek challenge of finding them, etc.)

-Peggy's Cove

they liked running up and down the huge smooth rocks. Just keep them WELL back from the actual ocean part. (Easy to do) There's an immense gift shop full of every tickytacky imaginable which they browsed through for over an hour. They also like stopping at the Swiss Air Memorial on the drive into Peggy's (about 5 minutes away) you can walk on the rock surfaces but are strongly discouraged from walking on the vegetation. It's easy to turn that into a game because they just have to hop over bits of vegetation to the next rock. In that area there are tons of types of wild berries (don't eat any!!) and those pitcher plants that capture insects in their tubes of water (look for the rusty red flowers sticking up above the other vegetation); and sometimes we've even been able to find sundews (the other predatory plant that has little drops of sap on tiny hairs to catch tinier insects.)

-the boardwalk at the Historical Properties in downtown Halifax and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic

great place to get an ice cream and wander around

-taking the commuter ferry back and forth from Halifax to Dartmouth--a very inexpensive way to see some of the two cities from the water and easy to safely roam up and downstairs on. There's a small park on the Dartmouth side with a play structure, or at least there was 3 years ago.

The problem at that age with the Fundy beaches was the mud stains clothes and they didn't like that.

I think it might be a good idea to bring mosquito spray for Cape Breton. I don't know what this year is like but some years some of the very short walking trails are a bit buggy, especially for children. (On the beaches though the strong sea breezes usually keep them away.)

Happy travels!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

If you do head for the Fundy, head to where there is no mud, just sand and cobble beaches and clear or jade coloured waters around Cape Chignecto Provincial Park. This blog is a good resource for some ideas. hikebiketravel.com/26539/… Joggins UNESCO site is a great place for kids, as is the miles of driftwood beaches at Advocate Harbour. Good place for your RV is www.oldshipyardbeachcampground.com in Spencers Island.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

Kids and grownups too will love the guided tour of the fossil beach at Joggins.

Go to Advocate Harbour to see the boats at the wharf at low tide and then later at high tide. The amount of water which goes in and out of the bay is amazing.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

I don't camp, but have friends that are avid campers. They like the KOA in Upper Sackville, and the Yogi Bear place down in the valley the best.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/halifax/

http://www.jellystonens.com/

6. Re: Last minute RV trip around nova scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 07:18