We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel in the fall.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to travel in the fall.

We are planning a trip to Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton in the fall. Would love to see some fall foliage but are also concerned about weather that far north.

Would the end of Sept or beginning of October be best to travel to all three places.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

That would be the best time in terms of foliage and likelihood of decent weather, you could still get finicky weather for sure...

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

The second week of October is generally best. The weather can be cool but is often sunny.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

Thanks for the advice, we are planning the 2nd week of October 5-13. Flying into Halifax, spending at least 3 days in Prince Edward Island and 3 in Cape Breton. We would also like to see Peggys Cove and Lunenberg and possibly Bay of Fundy. Is this doable in 9 days. Suggestion for routes and places to stay on PEI and Bay of Fundy, we like the scenery but also good food.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,693 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

Note that the Thanksgiving long weekend falls October 12-14th, so check to be sure attractions are open, and that you've booked your accomodations, etc.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

I am also planning a trip to Nova Scotia either during last week of Sep or 1st week of Oct. I surely would love to see the Fall colors and explore scenic Nova Scotia. I will be having around 7 - 8 days; so, I am thinking of visiting Cape Breton (incl. Cabot trail) for 3 days, spend around ~2 days in and around Halifax (incl. Peggy's Cove). Other than the above, I will have another 2 -3 days and I am debating between the two possibilities: i) spend the time near Anapolis Royal, Digby, Yarmouth and Bay of Fundy area (I think, I will be taking the ferry from St John to Digby) or ii) spend 2 - 3 days in PE island. Any suggestions on choosing between Bay of Fundy and PE island? Also, any specific attraction/event I should try out in Nova Scotia during late Sep/early Oct?

Thanks!

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

Prasun if you go to start of forum page and start your own thread you will get better response to your specific questions , at the top you'll see ask a question and click!

Re Travelling in fall the first couple of weeks October best for colour but once Thanksgiving is over alot of places close so be mindful on this with your plans.

Also all planning on going to Cape Breton at that time of year , one it is one of the most popular times to go and this year Celtic Colours Festival is on then as well, so you definitely need to book accommodation ahead of time.

http://www.celtic-colours.com/

Dostyl it is doable but will be rushed, have a look at some of the trip reports and recent forums on this and then come back I'm sure we can help with specific questions.

Maryann is on vacation and asked me to fill in a bit, but I am not adept at Google Maps!!!!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

For the Fundy, 2 hours from PEI you can discover the big tides of the Fundy in the Chignecto area. A good contrast to PEI - Chignecto is a non touristy, ruggedly scenic area with towering cliffs and great hiking. For accommodations and the top rated restaurant in Nova Scotia check out the Wild Caraway www.wildcaraway.com Another great place, right on the water is www.driftwoodparkretreat.com or for something different stay at a lighthouse www.capedor.ca

8. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 10:43
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

BearFalls9999 - if you are the owner of Bear Falls Wilderness Campground you are not allowed to advertise yourself or self promote here on the travel forums on Trip Advisor. Please check out the rules and regulations from Trip Advisor for more information. You can encourage your guests to come on trip advisor and review your company/campground in the formal review section and you can reply to the reviews thanking them for their review, addressing any concerns they have, etc if you formally register with Trip Advisor. You are also welcome to offer general suggestions on the forums on the area where your business is located but you can't just pop on here and throw up an advertisement for your own company. If you know someone that recently stayed at your campground that is also on trip advisor they are welcome to post on the forum themselves outlining their Nova Scotia Trip Report - where they stayed, activities they did etc and they are allowed to name places and provide websites that way. But you as an owner are not allowed to do that for your own business. Hope this helps you get a little more acquainted with how trip advisor operates. Your post above will most likely be removed for not following the rules. Best of luck.

10. Re: Best time to travel in the fall.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:16