We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Nova Scotia and back

Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Nova Scotia and back

we will be in Boston for 2 nights after a very long flight from Hawaii, we plan to drive to Halifax 1st and stay 2-3 nights but are flexible if there is a better way to go, definitely going to Cape Breton and J Cabot trail for a few days, and Peggy's cove and Pictou (my mom is from there) we have from the 14th of Sept., to Oct 2nd so if anyone has a route to take where we can see a lot I'd so appreciate it, also staying in Boston 2 night..any suggestions..and on the way up, where to stop and stay?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

Hi

Welcome the the TA forum

whith what you have outlined we are not sure where you are flying out of so it is hard to give you advice on the route back. Are you going back to Boston? and how many days do you want to take to do that?

this is 1 option for the drive to Cape Breton; this way you do not backtrack to get to any of the locations you have on your list. https://tinyurl.com/mc3xobx we can help on the route back once you tell us a bit more.

and have you booked your plane tickets yet; there is a flight Boston to Presqu'ile Maine that might save you road travel time.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

yes driving back to boston for a flight home, would really like not to back track so any info you know that would help us see most of Nova Scotia will help, also do feel we will need reservations everywhere in Nova Scotia this time of year? as far as places to stay, we are planning on staying in B&B's most of the time, we are renting a car in Boston. Thanks so much for your quick reply

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

hi

this is a couple of options for a visit to NB and NS with 1 day in PEI.

This is to give you and idea how much driving you would save if you fly to Presque Isle, Maine. The reason I know about Presque Isle is that my sister would fly there from Boston when we lived in NB.

https://tinyurl.com/n6cruy5 presque Isle maine 1,287 mi, 30 hours

if you want to drive from Boston to NS and return this is an option- https://tinyurl.com/l84pv78 boston to boston 1,790 mi, 37 hours

There are other options like going to Halifax via Moncton rather then taking the ferry in St John. which is discussed on this forum if you do a search for St.John- Digby ferry.

With that in mind you do not have a whole lot of time to see what you have on your list. Last time I did a similar trip to NS/NB I put everything in a spreadsheet to see how much time I would have to travel each day and we had to cut out a few sections in the time we had.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

we are leaving boston on the 16th of sept, which gives us probably 9 days in canada what do you think about driving from boston to moncton then on to cape breton then down to halifax and yarmouth going back by way of st johns, is this realistic we don't leave boston until october 2nd, we already have our tickets and will have to spend the night in boston on the 1st of oct., it says the drive from boston to moncton is 9 hours, is that correct?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

Here is a map to work with: http://bit.ly/1eU5vVs

They seem to have Boston to Moncton as about eight hours. That would be optimistic.

You can do the route I show in the time you have. One night on the road, the second night in Pictou, third somewhere from Mabou to Cheticamp, fourth around Baddeck, fifth and sixth in Halifax, seventh in Lunenburg, eighth in Digby or Saint John. That is a very rough plan and it is a lot of driving.

Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

As noted above, driving from Boston to Moncton is an all-day drive (8-9 hours), and then it's another 2.5 hours from Moncton to Halifax. Cape Breton is about a 3.5-hour drive from Halifax.

Since you're flying into Boston, I'm not sure why you would rent a car there for the long drive to NS, rather than taking a flight directly to Halifax and renting a car once you get there. Doing that will save you a LOT of driving.

7. Re: Boston to Nova Scotia and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 07:19