We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
52 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

I forgot to put this in my review of the hotel. The hotel's check out system asks for a maid tip. There are 4 options - including no thanks and 30%. Asking $97 maid tip for 2 night stay of $368 is a bit much and unheard of for a regular hotel. When I stay at resorts there often is a built in service fee but 30% for a pretty average hotel is outrageous in my opinion. This wasn't a resort by any stretch. I do believe in tipping for housekeeping but 30% even for a very clean hotel seems outrageous.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

I agree with you. I think it is my choice to leave a tip and I will decide what I feel is the right amount. 30 per cent tip IS outrageous. I realize there were four choices, and you certainly had the option of choosing one of them, but like you, I would be bothered by the suggestion that I had to opt for that amount. Tipping, in my opinion, is my gesture of thanks for a job well done or appreciated. I am sure there are others out there who will disagree with you and me, but it is our opinion.

And yes, I realize that customer service industry workers make a good deal of their income from tips!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

If "no thanks" and "30%" were the only two options I could see why you'd complain. However, you have not told us what the other two options were....I'm guessing they were somewhere inbetween. If that's the case, I don't see a problem at all. So anyhow, what were the other two options?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

Yes ... knowing the other options would be helpful. 30% is quite high ... however I suppose if the maid had done some service out of the ordinary or assisted you above & beyond the call of regular responsibilities, then perhaps a high tip would be appropriate ... perhaps for example she could have found you stamps for your postcards.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
52 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

I think other two options were 20 and 25 %. Even if it were 10%....when does one leave $36 maid tip for a two night stay with a bill of $360? I left my tip in room prior to check out. There was nothing in literature to indicate a maid tip would be requested at front desk at check out. So here is guidance from a CNN article online:

So when and how much? Post offered these guidelines:• Tip every day to ensure your tip gets to the person who actually cleaned your room.• Leave a note in your room with the money indicating it is for housekeeping.• Tip $1 or $2 per person, per night in most hotels. In higher end hotels, $3 to $5 per person per night is typical.• In a motel, tips are generally not necessary for a one-night stay. The $1 or $2 standard is appropriate for multiday stays.

Please note Lynwood is clean but but luxury or high end.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 10:31
5. Re: Baddeck - Lynwood Inn's maid tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:21