We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

I've managed to book a few of our hotels, our flights (on Aeroplan miles) and the rental car. A lot of the places I want to stay show no availability at all for next summer. I presume they just don't have their rates set yet so they can't be booked?? Or is it possible that they actually are booked? Any idea when we'll be able to book? Many of the places we like are small, I don't want to miss out. Would I be best to just email the operators directly or wait until they show availability?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
909 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

Most of the on-line reservation calendars I've looked at are only taking reservations 12 months in advance. I'm planning on going to Cape Breton next October during Celtic Colours. Knowing that this is a high demand time for lodging, I e-mailed the owner/manager of the place I wanted to stay and booked our accommodations that way. I would suggest you try the same approach.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

I totally agree with John B, and if you don't get response give them a call. I would also suggest doing so no later than mid October. A lot of these are seasonal so close up for the winter and may be hard to get hold of until next spring.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

I agree to book by October as many business owners to head to warmer territory for the winter months, especially true with B&B owners.

That said, be sure to re-confirm your bookings in the spring by telephone if possible and here is why.

When preparing for our trip that past July, I made one reservation in a B&B back in October. I found out , only by chance, that the B&B owner forgot to transfer us into his 2013 book..he booked the 2 rooms that we had reserved for 3 nights, and we were out of luck, scrambling for lodging for 2 rooms, 3 nights, 2 weeks before arrival. It was not fun. Should he have ousted the newer reservation and kept the original (us) ?? Yes, I think it would have been good business to do so, but turned out that the newer booking was with regular customers.

Bottom line, book early and re confirm 2 months before you are leaving. Most of the snowbirds return by May 1st.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

I've contacted the ones in question. I told me 2104 will be available for booking in February, another booked the room for us and promised rates shortly and another gave me the availability and suggested I call to make the reservation. It's all good :)

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
909 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

Good advice em T-sails. I've had to have a couple of back and forths with my B&B proprietor because I was booking more than a year in advance. I noticed that he'd not billed me for my deposit on my latest Visa statement, so I followed up with him. He assured me that I'd see the charge on my next statement.

6. Re: When to book for June/July 2014 trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:20