We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly/Drive/B&B

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fly/Drive/B&B

My husband and I are planning a 10-14 day driving trip to Nova Scotia in July 2014. This was a trip we had planned 5 years ago but had to cancel 1 week before our departure due to my being hospitalized! Have been wanting to go ever since and FINALLY can plan. We will be flying into and out of Halifax. Would like to rent a car and stay at B&Bs. We have heard that it shouldn't be necessary to book B&Bs outside of Halifax in advance. Is this correct? Are there any drive/B&B packages? Any suggestions of an itinerary? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

It is wonderful you are coming here and you are very wise to be planning so far in advance.

Before we can help you too much we would need to know more about your interests. I am assuming that by staying in B&Bs you want to get to know local people and travel at a fairly leisurely pace.

However, are you interested in hikes, long walks, kayaking?

Do you like fine dining? wine?

Are you interested in music, culture, museums, crafts?

We can assume you are interested in our wonderful scenery but even there we have quite a variety. Do you want pastoral farmlands and wineries, rugged coastlines, fishing villages, beaches, the highest tides in the world?

Are you interested in history, museums, geology, whale watching?

You can start your research by going to the Nova Scotia website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

You can also read trip reports from others who have visited here: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

If you put in key words into the search bar below you can find previous posts.

You can visit this website to research B&Bs: www.nsbedandbreakfast.com

With only 10-14 days you will not be able to see and do everything you may wish but we can help you with a plan.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

July & August are peak travel months for the Maritimes ... you should consider booking in advance, especially in popular travel destinations, or in areas where accommodation is limited.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,735 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

One more thing to consider - in Canada, B&Bs tend to be small, modest operations, often just a couple of rooms, and not the larger "B&B Inn" type of facility some American ones are. I know a couple of people who operate B&Bs in their homes in Nova Scotia (one in Cape Breton), and they tend to be fairly solidly booked for July and August in advance. www.bbcanada.com is a popular online national directory.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

By definition, I believe B&Bs must have four or fewer rooms and the proprietors must live there. Inns can have more rooms without the owner being there. Some of our inns are wonderful, so do check them out.

I agree with booking ahead, but take a few weeks to work out an itinerary first. Perhaps do not book every night to allow for a bit of flexibility.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 20:02
Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

It is often possible to book a B&B on the "day of" rather than reserve a room before your trip to Nova Scotia but be aware that many B&Bs are located in areas where few accommodations exist. Motels, hotels, & inns are more likely to be found in urban areas.

Please visit www.nsbedandbreakfast.com to order the Nova Scotia Bed & Breakfast Association's "Sea & Stay B&B Locator Map". This is a yearly publication & you can receive the 2013 Sea & Stay to help with your initial planning for 2014. The 2014 Sea & Stay is presently "in the works" & will be available early next year. The Sea & Stay can be requested when ordering the Doers' & Dreamers' Guide to Nova Scotia at www.novascotia.com or 1-800-565-0000. The Sea & Stay is also in the Visitor Information Centres throughout our province.

All NSBBA members must be licensed/inspected by Nova Scotia Approved, Canada Select, &/or CAA. However, CAA will only consider B&Bs which have 4 B&B rooms or more so this marketing tool is not available to smaller B&Bs.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

Since B&B's are small operations with few rooms, you usually will have to book in advance. Certain towns in N.S. are pretty popular in the summertime and there will be limited space. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to find a hotel or motel on short notice, but B&Bs would be more difficult.

What sort of things are you interested in? Driving along the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton is a really beautiful part of the province. Halifax is nice to spend a few days in. Peggy's cove is a popular spot to see that is a short drive from Halifax. Lunenburg is a pretty town on the South Shore. If you have two weeks, you should be able to do a loop around the province and see most of it. Here is a link to some popular drives in Nova Scotia and what you can expect to see and do along the way.

novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx

7. Re: Fly/Drive/B&B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:19