We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

winnipeg
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

Hello!

I am attending the Cornwallis CFB reunion in August as a guest, hence the reason for the following questions.

Being that the reunion will be at the old base, now a museum I believe, can someone give me an idea of what towns or cities are close for driving to and from?

We will be staying for about a week and a half to do some touring along with the reunion. For cost factor, which would be the most logical way to go? Various hotels, Bed and Breakfasts or renting a cottage? I'm not sure of the general size and geographical area, I know that we would like to go to Truro, I want to see the Bay of Fundy and tour as much as possible. I am hoping to make the majority of the reservations for this trip and I need a starting point!

Thanks so much,

Cindy

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

From having attended a previous Cornwallis reunion (I think it was the first one) I can tell you that you will have a great time in August! Unfortunately, the first reunion did not get enough publicity (lack of advertising funds) but there is a better call-out this time around so 2014 will see more attendees.

If you do not intend to stay in the Cornwallis base quarters, there are several options for accommodations in Digby & the Annapolis Royal area which are within an easy drive.

For licensed/inspected B&Bs, please check www.nsbedandbreakfast.com, the website of the Nova Scotia Bed & Breakfast Association. NSBBA members are located all around our province.

En route, while driving to the Truro area, you can explore the "lower" Bay of Fundy which has nice beaches & unique towns/villages. The two sides of the Bay of Fundy are quite different in topography/scenery. Please check www.centralnova.com for more information.

The Truro area is very central for day trips to many areas. Living here, I am often amused to read posts which say that Truro is a commercial/shopping area because most of us locals think of New Glasgow & Halifax Municipal Region as places to shop! I hope you have time to visit Victoria Park in the center of town as visitors are always amazed at its beauty.

Happy New Year!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

Truro to Cornwallis CFB is just under a three hour drive....

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

Here is a good starting point (in addition to the above advice). You can see maps here, learn what there is to see and do in various areas, and search for accommodation:

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

Hi

you could do a circular route like this http://goo.gl/maps/WeJF2 which can be done in either direction. I have not included the city of Halifax but that is an option as it is very close to the airport.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

The above map gives you a good idea. Be sure to go on the back roads along the coast. If you have time you could extend your trip to include the rest of the Minas Basin and Fundy Shores. Parrsboro and Advocate Harbour are great places to visit and experience the tides.

http://goo.gl/maps/oPpMo

If you go to the search box below you can put in the names of any of these places to find previous posts with lots of information.

6. Re: Cornwallis reunion - CFB Cornwallis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:17