We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Boston to Cape Breton road trip

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
October Boston to Cape Breton road trip

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I live in Boston and are interested in planning a trip to Nova Scotia in October 2014. We have done a few long weekend trips to Maine and thought it would be fun to do a longer trip (I'm thinking 10-14 days) up into Canada. The furthest I think we could go in that timeframe would be Cape Breton (would love to do PEI as well but I think that's too ambitious for a 2 week trip). I'd like to make it to Cape Breton for part of the Celtic Festival in October.

Here's a rough itinerary I plotted just to get started with something. Any suggestions? Here I have mapped out 10 days but could do up to 14.

Day 1: Boston to St. Andrew

Day 2: St. Andrew to Halifax

Day 3: Halifax

Day 4: Halifax to Cape Breton

Day 5: Cape Breton

Day 6: Cape Breton

Day 7: Cape Breton

Day 8: Cape Breton to Truro

Day 9: Truro to St. John

Day 10: St. John to Boston

I'm 28 and he is 32. We're mostly looking for nice scenery, good food, and maybe some hockey games if the timing is right. Thank you in advance for any recommendations! Oh, also want to mention that we are considering flying to Halifax from Boston, but it doesn't seem worth the cost (over 1k for both of us to fly). I think we can handle the driving time by switching off and breaking up the trip strategically.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Boston to Cape Breton road trip

You have a great plan here and you have allowed enough time to really enjoy Cape Breton.

If you have not already put Celtic Colours into the search thread below, do so and you will find lots more information.

The most important advice is to book where you are going to stay as soon as possible. For sure you should do this the minute the 2014 schedule is announced. You will be able to find places in Sydney, Baddeck and Cheticamp fairly easily, but if you want to go to concerts in smaller venues then there is little available and great demand.

Here is the Celtic Colours website: http://www.celtic-colours.com/future-dates/

Also check out these trip reports from people who attended previous Celtic Colours:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154972-i830-k70114…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k58486…

Four your trip home Truro and Saint John seem convenient, and there are lots of places to stay, but much prettier places would be Pictou, NS and St. Andrews, NB.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 19:05
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Boston to Cape Breton road trip

For places to eat, along with Trip Advisor reviews check out this thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/796950

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Boston to Cape Breton road trip

Yes, book your CBI stay early as possible. I booked our accommodations in August, 14 months in advance, and still had to adjust my dates because prior reservations. They'll be tight if you're looking to stay on a Friday and/or Saturday night during the festival - October 10, 11 and 17,18.

4. Re: October Boston to Cape Breton road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:18