We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

I've read on many forums that the drive through Canada to Nova Scotia can be a little bit boring so I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who's driven both through Canada and the USA to Nova Scotia and can give some information on pros/cons, where to stay, sites to see, etc... for both.

thanks in advance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

What time of year would you be going? I I've driven the Canadian route and I don't find it boring. Aside from Toronto and Eastern Ontario (Kingston, Thousand Islands, Prince Edward County) you'd go through fun cities like Montreal and Quebec City, then you're in the the Bas St-Laurent region and you can go whale watching if it's summer or at least visit some cute villages. After that you're in New Brunswick, the most direct route takes you near the Bay of Fundy, which has several points of interest but you'd go that way if taking the US route as well. Alternately you can take the slightly longer route via the Gulf coast of NB.

Where you should stop depends on your interests of course.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

The trip we're planning is for late June early July

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

I usually go down one way and back the other. Most of the routes through the US are slow ... two lane highways (with some passing lanes) ... so if you're in a hurry, I'd recommend not taking them. There are really no Interstates that travel east-west east of Albany, unless you go south into Massachusetts and then north again. Which is fine if you want to head that way. If not, then you can cross at Cornwall, and head east to Burlington, VT, and then east on US-2 or US 15 to Bangor, and then on to Calais/St. Stephen, NB. This route takes you through Vermont, New Hampshire White Mountains, and upstate Maine. If you want to go down to the coast, that's possible also. Note that I leave from east of Toronto, so my timing is different than yours.

I suggest you play around with google maps or a paper map (available from CAA, etc.) to chart a route that works for you. Then you can investigate local websites for tourist activities, etc.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,381 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

hi

the comment about boring is when people drive the Canadian side to get back to where they came from and they have done this route every year for the last 10+ years usually without stopping along the way.

The basic question is how fast do you want to get to NS and do you want to see anything along the way to NS. More stops to get there will make it less boring and you will be happy about the 4 lanes at the end when you have had enough of living out of a suitcase and all you want is to get back home.

so to get there to relieve the boredom look at highway 105 in NB around Grand Falls to find out where your McCain fries come from (-: and then around Hartland to see the longest covered bridge. Detour to Fredericton if you have kids to show them a provincial capital so they get the answer correct in geography class (-: If you want to make things interesting go down to St John to take the ferry to Digby to start your NS tour on the south shore. http://goo.gl/maps/wts6p

Edited: 17 January 2014, 03:15
Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

Thanks for the replies.... we're still trying to figure out where we'll be stopping on our trip there and our trip back (we know we'll stop in different places) but I think we'll drive both ways in Canada so we won't have to worry about passports.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 06:26
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

You can probably play it by ear as to where to stop except possibly for Quebec. You could stay in Levis and take the ferry to Quebec. That would save some driving and the ferry takes you right to the lower town.

7. Re: Driving to Nova Scotia from Southwestern Ontario...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:18