We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning

Greenland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning

Planning 12 day visit to NS in July. We have a general plan beginning in the Bay of Fundy/ Annapolis valley. From there we will head up to CB for 3 or 4 nights. Next to Halifax, south towards Lunenburg and ending in Yarmouth where we will pick up the new ferry. The question I have is the first days of this trip. Should we come across to Digby heading to Annapolis royal, wolfville, Truro, advocate harbor? And if we do that how best to go to cape Breton? Or should we come into NS via Amherst and head to advocate harbour, Truro, wolfville and then back track, headingup to CB? Are we trying to do too much going to Annapolis Royal...on either part of the trip. it sounds like such a pretty little town. But maybe we have to give up some areas. In reading the various itineraries, very few people mention the Kejimkujik Natl park. I love the idea of the night time star gazing. And had thought of this on the way to Yarmouth. Again, I may want to do too much. Once I have this overall picture, putting the details into place feels easy to achieve

Greenland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning

Or just another thought to my query above. What if we entered NS at Amherst, made our way down at far as wolfville, halls harbour area, then headed up to Cape Breton. On our way back from Halifax, Mahone bay and Lunenburg, we then headed up to Annapolis royal or the national park on our way to Yarmouth and the ferry. And if we tired at that point in our trip, we will head directly to Yarmouth from Lunenburg.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning

It would be easier to go to Cape Breton the first part of your trip. Then continue on to Halifax. An option would be to drive along the South Shore to Mahone Bay & Lunenburg; then take Rte 12 across the province to the Wolfville area. (aprox 1 hr drive).

Then from the Wolfville area, you could continue on to Annapolis Royal, & Yarmouth.

Its a lovely drive on Hwy 1 from Digby to Yarmouth along the Acadian Shores.

To do the star gazing at Kejimkujik Park, you would have to camp there overnight, so not sure if you'd have the time or supplies to do that. What other things are you interested in seeing?

Check on www.novascotia.com for events happening while you are here.

You can also order a free tour guide "Doers & Dreamers" on there. Take advantage of the local Tourist Info centres during your travels for up to date info on local events.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning

If you want to include the Advocate Harbour area (and you should) then you could go there from Amherst via Joggins, continue on through Parrsboro to Truro and on to Cape Breton and then return to Halifax and to the South Shore and Annapolis Valley as described above.

This map just gives a rough idea: http://bit.ly/1lfKDMP

Greenland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning

thank you, these suggestions really help...as soon as I read and looked at the map, it was like "now why didn't I think of that." On Cape Breton we have friends who live just outside of Baddeck and will be staying with them. I am thinking several day trips should take us around the Cabot Trail, into the National Park and also over to Louisburg. or would we be wise to stay one night as we do the trail. I think we will skip Kejimkujik Park, there is already plenty to do.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning

You go through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park as you go around the Cabot Trail. You can drive the entire trail in a day but not if you want to stop and take short hikes, go whale watching, visit shops, etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/X29PO

http://goo.gl/maps/sUld0

Greenland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip planning

These suggestions have really clarified our trip. We will be in Cape Breton, 3-4 days, visiting with friends. However, we would prefer not to be doing single nights the rest of the time. Is there any place on the itinerary where we might stay for 2 nights and have a good visiting base

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planning

Wolfville would be a good base for a couple nights. www.wolfville.ca

It's aprox a hr's drive from there across Rte 12 to the Lunenburg/ Mahone Bay area.

So it could easily be done as a day trip. www.lunenburgns.com

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip planning

On your way into the province using the route outlined by mayann, Advocate Harbour or Parrsboro would be good for a couple of days or more as a base. Lots to do in the area with the trail rides, kayaking, boating, hiking and discovering what makes the worlds largest tides environment in that area so special. As one of North Americas natural wonders you certainly don't want to miss the Bay of Fundy and you cant find a better place to experience everything this amazing ecosystem has to offer than along the Fundy Shore from Parrsboro to Joggins. Parrsboro also has the Ships Company Theatre if live entertainment is of interest www.shipscompany.com . Some great food to be had at the Wild Caraway in Advocate or the Black Rock Bistro in Parrsboro. Here are some links to check out.

Here is a great trip report for a active full week around Nova Scotia

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k67969…

Here is a travel blog from an international traveller about Cape Chignecto kayaking

hikebiketravel.com/26604/…

Paddler online magazine about Cape Chignecto

www.thepaddler.co.uk/expnovascotia.html

Link to Cape Chignecto Park

novascotiaparks.ca/parks/cape-chignecto.asp

www.spiritreinsranch.com

Here is a great trip report for active travellers looking for some of the most unique, beautiful spots in eastern Canada

tripadvisor.ca/…28969302

colchester.ca/five-islands-lighthouse-park

www.fundyforce.ca

http://www.ageofsailmuseum.ca/

novascotia.com/en/…

www.jogginsfossilcliffs.com

Some of the outstanding places to stay in the area

www.driftwoodparkretreat.com

www.capedor.ca

www.gillespiehouseinn.com

Lots of other things to see and do in the area, but you do only have so much time....

9. Re: Trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16