We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

Hi, we are working out an itinerary for an early Summer trip, arriving by Ferry in Yarmouth on Day 1 and leaving by Ferry in Yarmouth on the morning of Day 4. Just a few days, some ideas, and need feedback. Here are some itineraries under consideration:

(1) Day 1 - Arrive Yarmouth in the am, drive east Rte 103 along the southern coast, stopping at Keji Seaside, Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, everywhere in between, and ending in Halifax waterfront for the night. Too much for one day? Day 2 - Explore Halifax. Day 3 - Drive north along 101 to Wolfville, follow 101, stopping at sights, and ending in Digby. Day 4 - make the 10am ferry in Yarmouth. Hotels: Halifax 2 nights, Digby 1 night.

OR

(2) Don't try to make Halifax in Day 1, stay in Lunenburg overnight, then proceed to Peggy's Cove in the am, and explore Halifax. Hotels: Lunenburg 1, Halifax 1, Digby 1

OR

(3) Stay in Peggy's Cove two nights, drive into Halifax to sight see and return. Then do 101 to Digby on Day 3 Hotels: Peggy's Cove 2, Digby 1

OR

(4) Instead of 101 to Digby, return via 103 on Day 3 and ending in Barrington area, close to Yarmouth.

OR

(5) Go clockwise!

This could go on...but, what do folks think? Overall, we want this to be leisurely, not rushed - we can always come back another time to see more. Thoughts?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

well of course it depends upon your interests. I gather you have done some research.

I think that doing the complete loop from Yarmouth to Halifax and then to Digby and back to Yarmouth is doable, but you will do more driving that seeing or experiencing.

http://goo.gl/maps/BlLRM

If you study this map you will see the barebones times with no traffic or stops or construction. You will also notice that the main roads for the most part do not hug the coast.

I would choose option 4 and stick to the South Shore. There is lots to explore there. As you say, you can come back.

There is only one place to stay in Peggy's Cove. It is a tiny community. However there are lots of places all along the coast.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g780595-Peggy_s_Cove_H…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

There's not much to Peggy's Cove, it's nice enough, but not worth two days IMO...

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

Hi Sjroche,

It would be a fair amount of driving, but I believe that Option 2 would work for you.

It's aprox 200 kms from Yarmouth to Lunenburg. Shelburne is about the halfway point so it would be a good place to stop for lunch. www.shelburnenovascotia.com

There are a few restaurants there; although I haven't been to Charlotte Lane (it's on my list) I have read excellent reviews on it. www.charlottelane.ca

Then you can continue on to Keji Seaside Adjunct (beautiful place to go for a walk to the seashore). You should reach Lunenburg by mid afternoon, giving you the rest of the day to explore this UNSECO site.

Day 2: Continue along to Peggys Cove; it's a very small area so it won't take long to visit the area,but the drive there is very scenic. That will mean you will have the rest of the day & evening in Halifax.

Day 3: Take the 101, stopping at Wolfville (perhaps for lunch) then continue on with maybe a stop in Annapolis Royal which is a lovely town. I would suggest trying to go a little further beyond Digby so you wouldn't be so rushed the next morning to catch the ferry. I'm not sure how far ahead of the sailing that you would have to be there (I would think a least an hour). Cape View Motel & Cottages overlook the beautiful Mavillette Beach & is only 30 km from Yarmouth. www.capeviewmotel.ca

It would depend if you wanted to drive the extra 30-40 mins from Digby. I must say that taking Rte 1 along the shore from Digby is a beautiful drive.

This is just some extra info to help you plan your trip. Any further questions, please let us know.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

Hey all, thank you everyone for your replies - great info. We've also read through other posts here, including some of the trip reports.

We are going with Option 2 above, staying at Pelham House on night 1 in Lunenberg and Cape View Motel on Mavillette Beach on night 3. The only decision remaining is night 2, which may be on the Halifax waterfront, since we will spend the afternoon in the city. My question is, should we instead, at the end of the day, make the 90 min trip to Wolfville for night 2 hotel, to make the next day's north shore drive shorter?

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

That would probably be a good idea. Wolfville is only an hour drive from Halifax taking Hwy 101. www.wolfville.ca

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

That is a tough decision - an evening in Halifax vs a shorter drive the next day. If you have some time in Halifax in the afternoon then I would head to Wolfville. This will save you money as well as time.

However there is so much to see on the way to Halifax that I doubt if you will end up with much time there. Another possibility is to skip Halifax (beautiful city but you cannot do it all) and go from Lunenburg to Wolfville. You really want to have time to explore.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

Thank you again for the speedy replies. So we chose a nice inn in Wolfville for night 2. I think it will be a nice trip, made much better by all of your input. Both Lunenburg and Wolfville look like great spots.

We are also looking forward to the Nova Star cruise from/to Portland/Yarmouth. We booked a room and the new ship seems like a cool way to travel, unwind, dine, relax, etc.

8. Re: 4 Day Trip - From/To Yarmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17