We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip

I am trying to plan a road trip from Toronto to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I have booked 14 days for the trip and some of the places that are a must is Halifax and the Cabot Trail. If anyone has any suggestions on what routes to take, we want to stay in Canada and any other must see sites would be very helpful!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

When are you planning to go??? Do you like the country or more urban centres?? Budget??? Who is going, age range??? Interests????

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

We are planning on going in July for our honeymoon. We are interested in doing outdoors/adventure activities, so more country then city. We are on somewhat of a budget...nothing crazy expensive.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

You shouldn't miss the Bay of Fundy, one of North America's natural wonders. With the worlds highest tides the upper Bay of Fundy is a great place to indulge in your outdoor/adventure activities. The tides get higher the further up the bay you go so the upper bay is where you should go to experience the big tides and special adventures related to those tides and unusual geology, while the lower part of the bay is where the whales are if that interests you. Nova Scotia's upper bay from Joggins through to Parrsboro is a off the beaten path type of place to visit, with some off the best you can experience for the outdoors in Canada. To explore this area, on entering Nova Scotia just past Amherst you get onto the Fundy shore at exit 4. The first stop around 30 minutes from Amherst could be the UNESCO site at the Joggins Fossil cliffs www.jogginsfossilcliffs.com

Joggins is a interesting place - but if you want to get into those outdoor activities and adventures right away, head down to the Cape Chignecto/Advocate Harbour area 45 minute away. Here you will find the wildest and largest provincial park in Nova Scotia. It is a very unique place, with towering sea cliffs (the highest on the mainland) meeting those largest tides on earth, which has transformed the geology into a spectacular seascape. You will discover some amazing trails that follow the rugged coast, miles of wild beaches to explore and other activities such as sea kayaking and boating. Link to Cape Chignecto Park

novascotiaparks.ca/parks/cape-chignecto.asp

Here is a travel blog from an international traveller about Cape Chignecto kayaking

hikebiketravel.com/26604/…

Link to Outside magazine on top paddling spot on the east coast.

outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/north-ame…

novascotia.com/en/…

The least expensive for accommodations is to camp, but you could check these places out. Cabins at the Old Shipyard Beach Campground www.oldshipyardbeachcampground.com

Rooms above the top rated restaurant in Nova Scotia located in Advocate Harbour www.wildcaraway.com

Stay at a operating lighthouse www.capedor.ca Near the park entrance there are rooms and cottage at www.reidstouristhome.ca Other places such as Spencers Island B&B have good rates and a nice location, but no website. If you do want to indulge on your honeymoon check out the on the beach chalets at www.driftwoodparkretreat.com

Around 40 minutes down the road from the Chignecto/Advocate Harbour area is Parrsboro. Some beautiful Inns to stay at there such as www.gillespiehouseinn.com or www.parrsboromansion.com There are some nice trails in that area at Wards Falls and Partridge Island. Or the trail rides with www.spiritreins.com

The Fundy Shore drive continues on the scenic route past Five Islands which has a hostel that offers a reasonably priced private apartment www.mosatfiveislands.com then on to Great Village and on to Truro where you can then swing up to Cape Breton. Have fun!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

Go to the Nova Scotia Tourism website. Order the 2014 Doers & Dreamers Guide.

novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/order-trave…

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

Fourteen days return from Toronto is not much time, so you will really have to pick and choose. Study the www.novascotia.com site carefully and come up with some priorities. For each day of travel you should have a day to explore.

If, however, you take time to explore on your way to Nova Scotia, you will have less time once here. That being said I would take at least a day in Quebec City if you have not been there.

Here is a possible route for Nova Scotia. You will note it does not include the South Shore or the Annapolis Valley or the Digby area.

http://bit.ly/1ogOnCw

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

i agree that two weeks is not a lot of time to include new brunswick and as far as cape breton. i checked milage toronto, alma (nb), halifax (ns), baddeck (cape breton), toronto - 4204.30 kilometres

41 hrs 12 mins. that's about 1/2 of your time just driving so, as mentioned, pick your priorities. i spent 2 1/2 weeks in nova scotia / cape breton and wish i had had another 4-7 days. i found travel around ns slower then what i had planned. if you go to hopewell rocks in new brunswick...i recommend going for an hour for high tide and then returning at low tide for a longer stay, walk around and appreciate the difference in tides. the parking fee is good for 24 hours so you can experience both.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! After discussing with my husband we are going to focus on Nova Scotia and save New Brunswick for another time.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip

That's good. Do come back here if you have more questions.

Also be sure to check out Trip Reports from previous visitors here: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

You can always use the search feature below to put in names of places, activities, etc.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip

After reading further on NS I am torn between cape breton and the anapolis valley area. Do you think you could make a possible route for the south shore as well?

-Thanks!!

Edited: 12 May 2014, 00:43
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip

Do you want to include the South Shore (seacoast, fishing villages and beaches) and Digby/Brier Island (whale watching)?

The Annapolis Valley is wonderful, full of pretty scenery and lots of wineries. However for someone from Ontario with your Niagara area, it is not so different as Cape Breton. You have nothing like Cape Breton in Ontario.