We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finishing up itenary for Sept trip

Hastings, Nebraska
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
finishing up itenary for Sept trip

Thanks for all the advice earlier I have did a lot of research and I think I have it. We are leaving Nebraska and driving East we have 13 days, traveling 2 adults 60 and 1 adult 81 so our days in the car will be limit to 8 to 10 hours.. In Canada our first stop is Saint Andrews for the night the next morning we want to do the Jolly Breeze whale watching then drive to Alma for the night. The next morning we would like to see Hopewell Rocks and drive to Louisbourg. The next day see the fortress drive the cabot loop and stay at Pictou. Catch the ferry in the am and drive to Cavendish by way of St Peter. and end that night in Fredicertion. the last day in Canada stop at hartland to see the covered Bridge. then head back to Nebraska. Sounds ok?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,713 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: finishing up itenary for Sept trip

I think you are much too ambitious.

Alma to Louisbourg is 7 hours of straight driving - no stops.

Louisbourg to Pictou, via the Cabot trail is 8 hours straight driving - no stops. You'll have no time to see the Fortress, drive the trail and get to Pictou.

Pictou to PEI and on to Fredericton is again - 8 hours straight driving - no stops.

Remember that the sun sets earlier in September ...depending on the time of month that could be about 7 - 8pm. You will end up driving in the dark.

You have left almost no time to stop and eat, enjoy views, rest, etc. My 80plus year old mother would not be able to take this pace.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: finishing up itenary for Sept trip

I totally agree with the above. There is no point doing all this driving if you have no time to stop and see everything.

I am in my sixties and could not take this pace. The roads are mostly two lane in many places you are going and they are slow. There is so much to see and do.

Your trip starts at a decent pace but then gets unrealistic.

You have to leave some places out.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: finishing up itenary for Sept trip

I am 35 years old and know these provinces well and I feel you are way too ambitious. Particularly the day of louisbourg, Cabot Trail to Pictou. You should consider cutting things out or extending the trip.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: finishing up itenary for Sept trip

need to rethink. i'll just throw in a few thoughts. hopewell rocks are cool. in my opinion, it's best to see them at high tide for a short visit (one hour), then return when it's low tide so you can appreciate the difference and walk around. you rparking ticket is good for 24 hours. so you could luck out and maybe see high tide one day, spend the night in alma and catch low tide the next morning. i did fortress louisburg in about 3 hours but some people say you need all day. pictou is a lovely little town. right by there is caribou munros provincial park which has a nice beach. it's right by the ferry to to pei. generally cape breton deserves at least 3 days.

Hastings, Nebraska
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: finishing up itenary for Sept trip

wow I will have to do some rethinking.. Thank you

6. Re: finishing up itenary for Sept trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16