We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

2 posts
Save Topic
3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice for a 3-week trip I'm planning out to the Maritimes this summer. I'll be staying in hostels and have a bit of money for car rentals, but I'd rather take public transportation if I'm in major cities like Halifax. Here's my itinerary so far:

Day 1: Train Montreal-Moncton.

Day 2-7: Rent a car and drive to P.E.I. Explore the island.

Day 7: Drive back to Moncton, catch a train from Moncton to Halifax and stay overnight.

Day 8-12: Drive to Cape Breton, explore Cabot trail, Bras D'Or Lake, and Canada Day

Day 12: Drive back to Halifax.

*Here's where I'm not sure what to do. Right now I have about 9 days in Halifax, which I've heard is too much time. I would like to go somewhere else during that time, but am not sure where to go. I need to fly out of Halifax as that's where the flights are least expensive.

Any advice? I don't have a large budget, so if I can avoid renting a car for more days that would be nice. I'm interested in exploring the culture of the area and love landscape sightseeing, so anything along those lines would be great to know about. Thanks in advance!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

You might enjoy visiting Wolfville in the Annapolis Valley, aprox an hour's drive from Halifax. It's a small vibrant University town with a good selection of accommodations & restaurants. www.wolfville.ca

The Maritime Bus travels to Wolfville from Halifax .

www.maritimebus.com

Then there is a local bus service if you wish to explore some of the other towns in the Annapolis Valley. www.kingstransit.ns.ca

Here are a couple of more websites that will give you some more information.

www.annapolis-valley-vacation.com

www.novascotia.com

There are no hostels in Wolfville, but this B&B is reasonable & has good reviews.

www.gardenhouse.ca

It's also very close to the Tourist Info Centre.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

+1 for Wolfville. They have summe theatre, which I found to be very well done.

http://valleysummertheatre.com/

And getting to Grand Pré National Historic Site would be a priority in my books. It's about 5 km out of Wolfville.

If you haven't bought your flight yet, you might even consider cutting back your time to something like 17-18 nights. Although I could find enough to do in Halifax for about 3-4 nights. There are some remarkable museums dedicated to Canadian history in Halifax.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

Wolfville is a great idea. One way to get around to see the wineries in the area is to use the Wolfville Magic Winery bus, which runs on select days. http://www.wolfvillemagicwinerybus.ca/ These wineries are beautiful and definitely give you a good feel for the local Annapolis Valley beauty. Wolfville is a cute very walkable university town with some nice restaurants and scenery. I'm not sure if Acadia University rents out their residence rooms in the summer or not, but they might so that might be a way to stay somewhere cheap. Acadia University is right in the heart of the community so you could walk to restaurants, etc. I know Dalhousie University in Halifax rents out some dorm rooms in the summer so that might be worth checking into.

When in Halifax you could also take the ferry from Halifax waterfront to Dartmouth, then catch a bus to Eastern Passage. There you will find a boardwalk area that is quite nice. You could also take a boat over to McNab's Island for the day and explore. http://www.fishermanscove.ns.ca/About_Us.html I would also look at spending an afternoon at Point Pleasant Park which is a short stroll from downtown Halifax and is filled with some great views of the water, trails, great spot for a picnic.

Kings Transit - the bus system in the Annapolis Valley I believe goes all the way to Annapolis Royal, which again is a cute town with B&Bs. If you make it here there is a great evening ghost walk tour at Fort Anne that is quite interesting for history buffs and highlights a lot of the local history.

Lunenburg is a great town to spend some time in as well. I'm not sure if there is a bus that goes to Lunenburg but if so that would be a great spot. Nice boardwalk, fisheries museum, restaurants, etc.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I can't believe how quickly everyone replies to posts on here -it's great. I've changed around my itinerary and am going to visit Halifax first, then have a couple of days in Moncton before going to P.E.I. I will definitely check out Wolfville and the Annapolis Valley, looks like there's lots to see there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

greywolfpack mentions Dalhousie Uni accommodation. We did exactly that and got the breakfast buffet. Buffet!! The location was about 20 minutes walk from the harbour, (thinking Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.) Showers down the hall, though!! We were younger then, lolol.

www.dal.ca/dept/summer-accommodations.html

Edited: 09 June 2014, 06:29
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

I lived in residence at Dal back in university. It is totally fine and a great option if you are looking for cheap accommodations. I would often walk from Dal to downtown Halifax.

I've been in a few different dorms at Acadia and they would be a great budget friendly option too if Acadia rents as well.

Not sure if St FX University has summer accommodations but if you find yourself in Antigonish (community you would drive by to get to Cape Breton) you might want to check that out as a cheap accommodation option too.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

You have a lot of time planned for PEI, but if you want to see one of the highlights of a trip to Nova Scotia, (or Canada) you will only be a couple of hours drive from the bridge to PEI to the largest tides on earth of the upper Bay of Fundy. You might want to check out the Hostel at Five Islands for something unique in one of the most stunning landscapes in the Maritimes www.mosatfiveislands.com

8. Re: 3-week trip advice for P.E.I and N.S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:16