We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic jogging along the south shore?

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
scenic jogging along the south shore?

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any favorite places to go for a run between Chester and Halifax? I'll be visiting Nova Scotia in late July and will have a couple days in the Chester/Mahone Bay area and a couple nights in Halifax before heading to Cape Breton Island. I would love to keep up my newly started running routine while enjoying the beautiful coast. Anyone from the area know of any good spots? Something between 5-7 miles (or shorter that I could repeat) and relatively flat (although it wouldn't kill me to include some gentle hills) with water views and minimal vehicular traffic would be the ideal scenario. Do they have any repurposed rail trails or anything like that? Thanks in advance! So excited for the trip!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

Point Pleasant Park in Halifax would be good: www.pointpleasantpark.ca/en/home/default.aspx

I hope others more familiar with Chester and Mahone Bay can help you. This site mentions 'miles of trails' in Mahone Bay and says: "The Trans Canada trail runs along the old railway line around the town." http://www.mahonebay.com/

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

Thanks for the links! Point Pleasant Park looks great, I will definitely check it out while in Halifax.

Thanks!

Holly

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

Here Is a website that might help.

lunenburgregion.ca/index.php/…

Also, check www.novascotia.com

There will be hiking trails listed under "Things to Do".

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

I used to work in Halifax near the waterfront. Early morning lots of people would jog along the boardwalk before the tourists arrive for the day. It is always my favorite time on the Halifax waterfront boardwalk early morning so peaceful and pretty.

Point Pleasant Park is a great choice and very popular.

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

Thanks to you all for your replies!

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

I like to run too, but I keep it to 5k (2.5 miles). Point Pleasant Park is full of joggers and it's a well groomed nature trail in the south end of the city.

Here is a list of a few 'races' in and around Nova Scotia if you are so inclined. You might enjoy taking part in one?

www.events.runningroom.com/hm/index.php…

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

Thanks for the running link cgreno. Like you, I usually stick to 5k also, but I've decided to bite the bullet and work towards a half marathon in October, so I'm *trying* to bump up my length a little bit each week. I was just poking around online and also found this link with a calendar of running events others may find useful: http://www.runnovascotia.ca/main , Looks like there is a 5k happening in Halifax the weekend I will be there! It's the "police chase" with proceeds benefitting the Special Olympics. So I'm thinking I'll run Point Pleasant Park one morning, the waterfront another morning, and the 5k on my third morning. Thanks again to all who replied =)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

That is a wonderful plan. It would be great if you let us know how it works out for you.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

If you wanted a good place to go for a longer run in a beautiful setting along the shore while staying in the Chester/Mahone Bay area check out the Aspotogan peninsula. You can of course go for a run along the roads around Mahone Bay, but for a half marathon training route the Aspotogan would be great - for a fairly short run with no traffic park at Blandford and run into New Harbour and back. It would be a nice contrast to the busy trails in the city.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scenic jogging along the south shore?

Here is a map to show where the Aspotogan Peninsula is.

http://goo.gl/maps/jrMg4