We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week in Nova Scotia

San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A Week in Nova Scotia

I will be flying into Halifax and on Sept 10th will be joining a 10 day bus tour that seems to cover all the main highlights in Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, PEI and the New Brunswick shore of the Bay of Fundy.The tour ends back in Halifax on Sept 20th and I will be getting a rental car and staying on for another week (Sept 20 to Sept 26 - plane leaves Halifax on Sept 27th). I am a mature woman who is used to traveling on her own. I don't want to make definite plans for that week as I may want to go back to a place that I visit on the tour but I want to have some options. I had thought about driving up Highway 7 and visiting Sherbrooke village, perhaps going back up to Cape Breton for the rest of the week. I had also thought about going to Liverpool and across to Annapolis Royal and visiting that shore of the Bay of Fundy. I like to slow down and just enjoy scenery, people and wildlife. Is there any area of Nova Scotia that a single woman should be extra cautious in? I am assuming that I will have no trouble finding lodgings that time of year but do I have to be concerned about places closing for end of season? Any suggestions of favorite places not on the regular tourist beat would be most appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

Other than severe weather, just pay attention to forecasts, and having a cell phone, I would not worry about travelling alone...

San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

Thanks! I have a cell but I hadn't thought about the weather. I'll keep that in mind.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

You will have no problem finding places to stay but the further east you go on Sherbrooke, the fewer places there are.

When you drive through the Annapolis Valley you do not see the Bay of Fundy because of a range of what we call mountains. You can access the Fundy shore by driving to several little villages there.

The best way to view our Fundy shore is to go to the Parrsboro and Advocate Harbour area. I am willing to bet that your tour does not take you there but it is very scenic. There are no places to stay with enough rooms for a bus tour!

There are two world class geological museums, the amazing tides, great scenery, short hikes, kayaking and boat tours.

As you drive to Parrsboro along the Minas Basin shore there are several antique shops. Be sure to stop in Five Islands in the park to see the scenery and if you are hungry try out the amazing fresh fried clams at Diane's.

http://goo.gl/maps/sNRRc

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

I just returned from a trip along the Eastern Shore & I agree with Maryann that there are very few services available beyond Sheet Harbour other than Sherbrooke.

A 15- 30 min drive from the Annapolis Valley main highway will take you to a variety of places along the Bay of Fundy. One of the best ones to view the tides is near Wolfville.

www.hallsharbour.com

Wolfville is a small university town where you can view the tides from the waterfront park. The water flows in on the river which comes from the Minas Basin into which the Bay of Fundy flows. From this park you can also access the popular walking trail on the dykelands.

www.wolfville.ca

If you don't want to stay in town, there are accommodations to choose from in the nearby countryside. Evangeline Beach is where the sandpipers stop to feed on their trip to the South. There are at least hundreds of them & wonderful to watch, they should still be there in Sept. This motel is right at the beach. www.beachbreezemotel.com

In the same area near the UNESCO site of Grand Pre is a motel & inn with a very popular restaurant with the locals. www.evangeline.ns.ca

Re: slowing down, I found this place near Digby a very relaxing place to spend a few days . www.thebarnatthepoint.ca

It could be a good base to explore the Acadian Shore between Digby & Yarmouth which is a lovely drive along St Mary's Shore.

www.yarmouthandacadianshores.com

Also, Taking Rte217 down Digby Neck to Brier Island is a great experience. You take 2 short ferry rides to get to Brier Island. This is the best whale watching area in the province; as it's where the larger whales such as the Humpback & Right Whale feed.

www.brierisland.org

This is an interesting website about the Annapolis Valley.

www.annapolis-valley-vacation.com

The Southshore has many interesting places along the coast to visit also.

www.novascotiabackyard.com

If you haven't already you can order a free tourguide from www.novascotia.com

You can also pick one up at any tourist info centre when you arrive.

Make use of these centres which are in most towns during your travels. They are a big help with directions, accommodations, local events or any other questions you might have at the time. You will do fine travelling on your own, I have done plenty of it over the years.

San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

Thank you fundygirlr and maryann-ns. I like both your suggestions.

Would it be reasonable to go to Advocate Harbor first and then down to Digby/Yarmouth area for the second half of the week?

My plane leaves Halifax airport just after noon. What would be a good town to stay in the night before that would be give me time to return the rental car and go through all the processing for the flight?

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

While Advocate Harbour is in one of the wildest and off the beaten path corners of Nova Scotia, it is only a 2 and a half hour drive to the airport if that helps with your planning. For the outdoors, rugged scenery and wildlife viewing it is a great place to stay. There are tours to a large seal colony at remote Isle Haute and the trails of Chignecto often give you a opportunity to view wildlife. You should bring some bells to wear on your pack though as September is when the bears are gorging on the wild blueberries and there is a good chance to see them along some of the trails - but you don't want to surprise them. You can often see them from your car around the large blueberry fields. In September the plovers would be passing through along with a variety of others starting the migration with a stop along the food rich Fundy shores. Good places to spot them are along the numerous wild beaches, along with the many Loons and other sea birds. Cape Chignecto also has a population of Moose, Deer and other fur bearing mammals.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

It's aprox a 5 1/2 hr drive from Advocate Harbour to Digby. If you plan to go whale watching you might want to go to Digby area first,(aprox 3 hrs from Halifax.) Perhaps stay a night near the Wolfville area to break up your drive from there to Advocate Harbour. Then spend the last night in the Truro area. You should be at the airport 2-3 hrs before departure.

If you wanted to go to Advocate Harbour first it would be aprox a 3hr drive from Halifax.

Again you'd probably want to stay a night somewhere on your way to Digby. And for your last night, the Wolfville / Grand Pre is only a hour's drive from the airport.

So, in order to visit both areas, I'd suggest 2 nights in each area, 1 night on the way between the 2 places & 1 night close to the airport when you leave.

It just depends on how much driving that you wish to do.

I might also mention that although I see no problem with you travelling alone; I would not recommend going hiking at some of the remote areas by yourself.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 01:43
San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

Thank you all for your advice!

9. Re: A Week in Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:17