We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

Boston...
7 posts
Save Topic
Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

Hello! I am planning a trip with my boyfriend from Portland to Nova Scotia on the Nova Star Ferry somewhere between mid September and mid October (is this a good time?). I'm looking for suggestions on accommodations, things to do, etc. (basically any helpful information). We would be taking a car and bicycles, staying for at least 5 nights, and we both appreciate decent prices!

Thank you!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

Hi rtola,

Here is the Nova Scotia Tourism website

www.novascotia.com

With only 5 nights you would have plenty to explore in South Western Nova Scotia.

That includes the South Shore, Annapolis Valley & Digby Neck area, & Yarmouth & Acadian Shores. Are you planning to return on the Nova Star as well?

www.yarmouthandacadianshores.com

lunenburgregion.ca/index.php/…

www.exploreannapolisroyal.com

www.parkscanada.gc.ca/keji

www.annapolis-valley-vacation.com

Take a look at the above websites & return with further questions.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

The fall is a great time to visit Nova Scotia. With only 5 days I agree with Fundygirl and say you should check out the mainland of Nova Scotia - specifically Yarmouth, Annapolis Royal, Digby, Wolfville, Lunenburg and Halifax would all make good options. If you decide to stay for more than 5 nights you might be interested in visiting the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton too, it is beautiful year round but especially beautiful in the fall. It is further away from the ferry and requires at least a couple days (one day to drive there, a couple days on the Cabot Trail, and one day to drive back).

Poke around on those websites Fundygirl listed and come on back with some more specific questions.

Here is a link to a discussion last year about biking trails in the Annapolis Valley area of Nova Scotia which you might find helpful. tripadvisor.ca/…50902896

Here is a link to a discussion earlier this year about good spots for running, you might find it helpful for good spots for bicycle riding too. tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k75360…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

September would be better for weather....

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,978 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

There are no guarantees for weather. The second week of October would be good for the fall colours. It would likely be cooler than September, however.

5. Re: Portland to Yarmouth in September/October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16