We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&Bs in Mahone Bay

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
B&Bs in Mahone Bay

We will be visiting Nova Scotia for the first time next year. In fact it'll be our first trip to Canada.

We think we'd like to stay a night in Mahone Bay and I'm interested in anyones' favourite B&Bs. There are many to choose from but one that has caught my eye is called The Manse Country Inn. I don't see anything written about it on Tripadviser but then it only has 4 rooms/suites. Any views would be very welcome.

Thanks, Jackie

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

Jackie: You might want to take a look at www.bbcanada.com.

There you will find that The Manse Country Inn is for sale. I do not know if this fact would influence your choice. Last September the Manse was highly recommended to me, but unfortunately was completely booked. We did stay in Chester - a short drive from Mahone Bay at the Mecklenburgh Inn. We found the Mecklenburgh to be a truly splendid B and B and extremely friendly. We also looked at 100 acres and an ox in Barss Corner. It was unavailable because of a wedding party. The place is located in an incredibly beautiful spot and has been named one of the best b and bs in Canada. I hope I have been of some assistance. Actuallty in the NS south coast, whereeever you go, you will be rewarded by extremely friendly people, great food and will have a wonderful time.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

Hello Jackie 19"

The Manse is my favorite Mahone Bay B&B, followed by Edgewater and Natures Cottage. Reinaldok is correct in saying that this Inn is indeed for sale but so are 3/4 of the operating Inns in the Mahone Bay / Lunenburg areas. I wouldn't allow this to influence your choice in my opinion.

There are a few reviews under Nova Scotia Hotels / B&B's that you could check out, as well as the two others I have mentioned. No lack of good B&B's in this location.

The Manse is an 1860's restoration and sits on a hill overlooking the bay directly behind the famous "three churches".

A very good choice.

regards,

blondie **

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

O yes"

In addition to that put manse into the search function on this page and see what we have discussed in the past regarding this B&B on the Nova Scotia forum.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

reinaldok and blondie,

Thanks so much for your replies, both are very helpful. I felt so disappointed when I read that The Manse was up for sale. However, if so many are for sale maybe it'll not be sold. It looks so good though you'd think it would be snapped up.

It's not until September that we will be in Canada so there's plenty of time. How soon would you think we should book if as you say it was full when you tried to go?

Jackie

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

For $625,000 it may sit there for awhile. Lunenburg which has more B&B's per capita than any other south shore town, has had many of their finest B&B properties up for sale for years now so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

If you would like to take a virtual tour of "The Manse" go too www.tradewindsrealty.com. Click on "our properties", and then "Town of Mahone Bay". It is T-2243-- B&B or private residence. It's a nice tour and very true to life.

If you know your exact dates I wouldn't hesitate to book now.

You might ask the inn keepers about their policies if the inn should be sold prior to your arrival. ( Rose and Allan O'Brian)

Bye for now,

blondie *

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

Blondie,

Thanks for all this great info, you're a gem. I'll have a look now.

Jackie

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

Hi Jackie. I was in the Manse yesterday....they are one of the Celebration Homes which is part of the Father Christmas Festival going on now. Although we were not allowed upstairs to see the bedrooms, the downstairs in small, but tastefully decorated. The breakfast room gives you a beautiful view all the way down Mahone Bay and of the town....which is just a lovely day to start your day. You can also walk to everything in town from their location, which you can't from the Edgewater.......although I really like their location down at the other end of the Bay.

Also met the one of the owners, Julia, who is a lovely person. I'm sure you won't have any problems staying if the inn is sold. Usually the incoming owners honor previous reservations......unless of course it is sold as a private home, which has happened in the past. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Manse was a private home before Julia and her husband converted it to a B&B.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

Thanks sailorgirl.

9. Re: B&Bs in Mahone Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 00:16