We have never been to the east coast of our beautiful country and we will be doing just that this summer (early August). Our journey will begin in Nova Scotia (Halifax to be exact). I've perused this forum for some ideas and have to say that the NS experts are exceptional and generous in their advice. I'd appreciate some feedback on our tentative itinerary such as drive times and choice of accomodations. I have also ordered the Doers and Dreamers guide and hope to have it sometime soon.
See the sights in and around Halifax. Our stay in Hailfax will depend on how long it will take to drive to see the vertical tides in the Bay of Fundy - either Halls Harbour or Advocate?
- How long is the drive and should we stay overnight?
- is whale watching better here or wait until we get to Cape Breton?
Drive from Hailfax to Cape Breton
- spend the night in Baddeck - Lynwood Inn
Start the Cabot Trail stopping along the way to see the sights
- stop and spend the night in Ingonish at either the Lantern Hill & Hollow or Sleepy Hollow cottages
- continue on the trail and stop and stay overnight in Cheticamp at Auberge Doucet Inn
- contine back to Baddeck - can this be done in a day?
- back in Baddeck for another 3 days to explore Bras d'Or and surrounding area and Louisbourg Fortress. I'm sure we'll get more ideas from the guide.
We're looking forward to experiencing the down home warmth of the Maritimes! Thank you and Cheers.