We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

We have never been to the east coast of our beautiful country and we will be doing just that this summer (early August). Our journey will begin in Nova Scotia (Halifax to be exact). I've perused this forum for some ideas and have to say that the NS experts are exceptional and generous in their advice. I'd appreciate some feedback on our tentative itinerary such as drive times and choice of accomodations. I have also ordered the Doers and Dreamers guide and hope to have it sometime soon.

Here goes:

See the sights in and around Halifax. Our stay in Hailfax will depend on how long it will take to drive to see the vertical tides in the Bay of Fundy - either Halls Harbour or Advocate?

- How long is the drive and should we stay overnight?

- is whale watching better here or wait until we get to Cape Breton?

Drive from Hailfax to Cape Breton

- spend the night in Baddeck - Lynwood Inn

Start the Cabot Trail stopping along the way to see the sights

- stop and spend the night in Ingonish at either the Lantern Hill & Hollow or Sleepy Hollow cottages

- continue on the trail and stop and stay overnight in Cheticamp at Auberge Doucet Inn

- contine back to Baddeck - can this be done in a day?

- back in Baddeck for another 3 days to explore Bras d'Or and surrounding area and Louisbourg Fortress. I'm sure we'll get more ideas from the guide.

We're looking forward to experiencing the down home warmth of the Maritimes! Thank you and Cheers.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

It's about a 2 hour drive from Halifax to Halls Harbour. It takes 12 hours to go from high tide back to high tide, but that's pretty boring watching. I'd time it to arrive around low tide. You could spend the night on the Bay of Fundy or drive back to Halifax.

The Cabot Trail can be driven in one day from Baddeck, with a couple of stops along the way. If you want to do some hiking and a whale watching tour, I'd plan to spend 1 night en route. But wait till you hear from Proudcaper - she's the expert.

Glad you're coming. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Maritimes.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

Hello travelfan"

Here's an idea to toss around"

Since your trip here is basically Halifax upwards to Cape Breton Island you wil be missing the southwest coastline and lots of the Evangeline Trail. If Halls Harbour interests you and also whalewatching, why not plan a day to leave Halifax and head to Halls Harbour for high tide and continue on to the Digby area for the best whalewatching tours available here I think, and then back to Halls Harbour for low tide. Margaretsville is also a very good place to see the flats . You could easily do this if you wished. I might suggest a night in the area as well. Either Annapolis Royal, Sandy Cove, or Wolfville areas if that is too ambitious for a one day excursion. Lots of good accomodations for all those areas.

I really like Advocate also. It's a nice beach walk that begins near the bridge in Advocate Harbour and follows the top of a dyke to the beach area. Close by is Cape D'Or which has beautiful cliffs and is quite spectacular.

www.centralnovascotia.com

www. novascotiawhalewatching.ca

You can't go wrong with either. Whatever works best for you.

Looking forward to assisting you further..

regards,

blondie ***

Halifax
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

I personally love the south shore between Halifax and Liverpool. The Aspotogan Pennisula, Mahone Bay, Riverport, Lunenburg, the Lahave Ferry...........these are all wonderful sights! Always travel taking the scenic routes along the coast. They will take you to some beautiful spots but the travel time will be much longer.

Halls Harbour and Advocate are stunning as well although they are in different locations..........I'd see them as two day trips. Annapolis Royal is and special spot.........as for the tides......I wouldn't stand around too long waiting to see them when there is so much else to do and see.

CB is a must see..........take your time.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
764 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

I'd highly recommend Lantern Hill and Hollow cottages up in Cape Breton. Gorgeous location and lovely accommodation.

canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

Thanks to all for your feedback!! I love this forum! Sounds like we're in for some spectacular scenery. The plan was to drive up the Bay of Fundy and explore the area between high and low tide (not necessarily ot sit and wait for the tides to come and go). Sounds like we could do this as a day trip.

Blondie, thanks for the website links. I'll definitely look into them.

We may have to re-think our plan and spend the entire vacation in beautiful Nova Scotia (the plan was to try to get over to PEI which may have to wait at a later date).

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

Thanks Bedlace. Will definitely take you up on that. Just waiting for the NS Dores and Dreamers guide to come in the mail. I'm sure I'll have more questions then.

8. Re: Need advice on Halifax & CBI itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 13:18